Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 92 AF. Love the platform! Mags catch on the way in eject clean! Happens every time.
How big a probelm do I have?
Any ideas. I am not a smith but can do simple stuff. Help!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Your statement confuses me. I understand, correct me if I'm wrong, that your magazine catches on something during insertion (but) ejects clean. Is that right? Assuming that it is, then the problem is confusing. To eject cleanly, the magwell must be clean and slick.
(I'm thinking out loud here.) So how could the mag catch on the way in, and what could it catch on? I'm probably no more a smith than you say you are. I would sit and put that/those mag/mags in again and again until I could tell how far in is the catch place, then look at that area, maybe stick my long fingers in there and see if I can tell, push something else in there to file, cut or scrape it all clean. The magazine catch is the only thing that sticks in there and the side of the mag presses and drags against it until it's seated and the catch drops into the hole. There shouldn't be anything on the mag that would snag the mag catch on the way in, so I'm going to look at the mags too.

Guys, do I have all this right?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have it right, the mag catch catches the "upper part" of the mag on the way in. it is not a cleanliness issue, it is a hard stop and after the mag is in everything is perfect.

·
Super Moderator
36,756 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois!

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I would look for a burr on the bottom side of the magazine release.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd suggest pulling the slide and barrel off. Then take a flash light and look down the mag well from the top while inserting the magazine. You should see what it's hitting on. Could be as simple as needing a little (very little at a time) sanding on the bottom side of the magazine catch . May be a burr or you may need to round a corner a little. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a new 92 AF. Love the platform! Mags catch on the way in eject clean! Happens every time.
How big a probelm do I have?
Any ideas. I am not a smith but can do simple stuff. Help!
Push the mag release in while you insert the mag. If it goes in easily then you are catching on the mag release. If that is the case, you can try to fix the mag release or just push in the release when you put the mag in. Also, you can try putting the mag in more forcefully to try to override the mag release more easily.

E. J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts