Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody try one of these new magnetic chronographs?

MagnetoSpeed

Some reviews on YouTube like this one:

I'm wondering if it could be used shooting a semi-auto over it being held in a jig, etc.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Hmmm - looks really convenient to use but on the pricey side! I have a Chrony so I'm not a customer but will watch with curiosity!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
That does look interesting - if you're shooting something with an exposed barrel. I agree - it doesn't look like it would work with a full slide semi auto. I'm wondering how that thing reads the velocity. Usually they tell you to set a chronograph ten feet from the muzzle for a pistol and fifteen feet for a rifle so the chrono doesn't pick up particles of powder which can booger up the reading. I hear what they're saying about shooting prone and stuff, but when I chronograph I'm trying to figure out what rounds are doing from particular weapons. Once I know what they're doing, I have to assume they do the same thing whether I'm prone, seated, or standing. Interesting, but I'll stick with my little F1.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Usually they tell you to set a chronograph ten feet from the muzzle for a pistol and fifteen feet for a rifle so the chrono doesn't pick up particles of powder which can booger up the reading.
The typical Chromo is optical and thus particles in sufficient quantity will affect the reading. This seems to work (I'm guessing) by the metal in the bullet upsetting a magnetic field so the blast shouldn't have an affect. It does seem rather nifty but I don't see how one would use it on a full slide semi-auto pistol, either.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The typical Chromo is optical and thus particles in sufficient quantity will affect the reading. This seems to work (I'm guessing) by the metal in the bullet upsetting a magnetic field so the blast shouldn't have an affect. It does seem rather nifty but I don't see how one would use it on a full slide semi-auto pistol, either.
How are copper and lead going to affect a magnetic field, when they're non-ferrous metals? That one's got me scratching my head.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Just for the heck of it, I looked at this page which led me to this source (which I've found factual over time). It gives their experience trying out the device.
I think I see how it works now. The little diamond shaped ends of the chrono must each contain magnets for which a small magnetic field goes across the path of the bullet. With lead it would block part of that field, and I guess copper does the same thing. I guess it's got sensors to monitor the strength of the fields. Sorta makes sense to me now. I'm not going to rush out and buy one, though. :D

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
I think I see how it works now. The little diamond shaped ends of the chrono must each contain magnets for which a small magnetic field goes across the path of the bullet. With lead it would block part of that field, and I guess copper does the same thing. I guess it's got sensors to monitor the strength of the fields. Sorta makes sense to me now. I'm not going to rush out and buy one, though. :D
The same principle is used in metal detectors. They're quite good at finding buried coins like pennies (copper) and silver dollars (another no-ferrous coin), and just about anything made of any metal.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe:

I just noticed your Tomcat patch there. I happen to have a Super Tomcat (F-14D with GE F110 engines) patch on my old Iron Works Flight Test jacket. Man, those were the days!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Weren't they though? I never worked on the Ds. I either worked on or taught how to work on the As & Bs for seventeen years. It's an awesome plane with not another like it. I always found it rather comical they thought they would actually replace it with the 18. When they first brought the 18 onto the carrier they shortened the cycle by 20 minutes because it couldn't stay in the air long enough. Then we had this air show for some big wigs overseas where the Tomcat and the 18 were supposed to do supersonic fly-bys. The Tomcat came by and BOOM right on schedule. The 18 came swishing by twice without being able to make it so they landed, removed all the missile rails (except the wingtips) and then launched again and by gosh it could actually break the sound barrier then. I was like, "This is supposed to a supersonic jet??" That was the regular hornet, of course, not the super hornet. I retired before the super hornet went to sea on the east coast, I think. At least they weren't in my last air wing (CVW-3). I didn't make it to the sunset although I wanted to go in the worst way. Almost brings tears to my eyes. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts