Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to hints and tips for tweaking cranky magazines. Here's your chance to contribue to a new FAQ for the forum!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I like to make sure the slide works freely, and does not hang up on the mag lips.
If the mag lips are to close together, they can cause feed jams.
The lips can be moved a little bit at a time. Until the slide is working smoothly.
You may have to bend one side in and the other out to get it.
Then make sure the mag still properly holds ammo. This may take a little time, but it works.
I fixed the mag on my PT-22 and have had no problems with feed jams since.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,592 Posts
This will depend largely on the overall condition of the magazine.
My fixes have included:

1.) Deep and extensive cleaning
2.) New and possibly heavier Springs
3.) In the case of Cartridge Nose-dives -
The bending of Middle of the top Spring Coil at 45 degrees up
(This is done at the factory on current Mec-Gar Witness magazines)
4.) Polishing or replacing Magazine Follower
5.) Adjustment of Metal Magazine Tube Lips
6.) Gentle Polishing of Internal or External Magazine Tube Surfaces
7.) With Failure of all previous treatments - Replacement
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jwc007 said:
This will depend largely on the overall condition of the magazine.
My fixes have included:

1.) Deep and extensive cleaning
2.) New and possibly heavier Springs
3.) In the case of Cartridge Nose-dives -
The bending of Middle of the top Spring Coil at 45 degrees up
(This is done at the factory on current Mec-Gar Witness magazines)
4.) Polishing or replacing Magazine Follower
5.) Adjustment of Metal Magazine Tube Lips
6.) Gentle Polishing of Internal or External Magazine Tube Surfaces
7.) With Failure of all previous treatments - Replacement
Do you have a digital camera? A photo display would be a tremendous help to newbies who are interested in learning. Good post!!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,592 Posts
Cimarron said:
Do you have a digital camera? A photo display would be a tremendous help to newbies who are interested in learning. Good post!!
Thankyou! You are most welcome!

Yes, I do have some Digital Cameras as you may have seen some of my Gun Pix posted on some of the other threads. I've got a new Digital Camera that I'm still learning the ins and outs on, but a project, such as you suggest, would give me a very good reason to put the new Camera to good use. Perhaps more elaboration and how to could go on a Thread in the Gunsmithing Area. I will try to get to it, as my time allows.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jwc007 said:
Perhaps more elaboration and how to could go on a Thread in the Gunsmithing Area. I will try to get to it, as my time allows.
I really think a good photo display would make a great FAQ for the archive. Almost everyone has had problems with magazines, some of us have "worked" on them... and then thrown them away because we "worked" on them, and a few of you guys have some good expertise! This would make a great contribution as a new moderator!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
jwc007 said:
This will depend largely on the overall condition of the magazine.
My fixes have included:

1.) Deep and extensive cleaning
2.) New and possibly heavier Springs
3.) In the case of Cartridge Nose-dives -
The bending of Middle of the top Spring Coil at 45 degrees up
(This is done at the factory on current Mec-Gar Witness magazines)
4.) Polishing or replacing Magazine Follower
5.) Adjustment of Metal Magazine Tube Lips
6.) Gentle Polishing of Internal or External Magazine Tube Surfaces
7.) With Failure of all previous treatments - Replacement
What brand of heavier mag springs do you use? Am using a PT140 and want to tweak my mags.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,592 Posts
bigdaddycool said:
What brand of heavier mag springs do you use? Am using a PT140 and want to tweak my mags.
In general, I have used Wolff Extra Power Magazine Springs.
http://www.gunsprings.com/

Wolff does not currently have magazine springs listed for any of the Polymer framed Taurus Pistols. I would call Wolff directly for a suggested Spring or try the Magazine Springs listed for the Tanfoglio Compact Pistols, as those tend to be generic fit springs.

In selecting an extra power spring for your pistol, stick with the +5% strength, as you will find the +10% springs waaaaaaaay too stiff. I got some +10% extra power magazine springs for my PT92 and it took about 3 years of use for those rascals just to wear in!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
jwc007 said:
In general, I have used Wolff Extra Power Magazine Springs.
http://www.gunsprings.com/

Wolff does not currently have magazine springs listed for any of the Polymer framed Taurus Pistols. I would call Wolff directly for a suggested Spring or try the Magazine Springs listed for the Tanfoglio Compact Pistols, as those tend to be generic fit springs.

In selecting an extra power spring for your pistol, stick with the +5% strength, as you will find the +10% springs waaaaaaaay too stiff. I got some +10% extra power magazine springs for my PT92 and it took about 3 years of use for those rascals just to wear in!
thanks for the advice! am still looking at getting some OEM stiffer springs specifically for the 247pro as am not much into DIY with my pistol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Well guys & gals I know this is an old threade that has been recently brought back from the dead. One rule of thumb that I use is that I shoot it and see what it does. Specs from the factory don't mean much to me when it comes to a gun. You have to let the weapon dictate what it needs. Now I have noticed that on most autos if yall get one that stove pipes or when one tries to chamber and points upward the feed lips on the mag need to be spread a little bit and if it noses down you need to tighten it up a lil. I have found this works cause when you get them adjusted it will feed right ,eject right and the slide will function fine.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top