Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have read that keeping your magazine loaded or long periods of time can compromise the springs reliablility.

this makes sense too me but i like to keep my mags ready to go so all i have to do is shove it in the pistol, rack the slide and take aim.

any ideas on how long is too long to keep a mag spring compressed/loaded before it damages or reduces spring life.

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
I've kept mine loaded for a year and have had no problems I've noticed that when I bought new mags that there is a difference in tension but the gun still functioned, I also download one in each mag for storage don't know why but thought I heard it somwhere. You can order new springs fom Brownells.com

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Thats an old myth. What wears out springs is the compression/de-compression cycle. Unless you compress (or extend) the spring past its design limits which will over-stress it and cause issues.

Here's a thread where more was discussed on this (and I'm sure that a Search would turn up others):
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2068.0

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
What wears out springs is the compression/de-compression cycle.
+1..Steelheart...That is what i learned in here also.... :D

Delta103 ...try a search like Steelheart said..there are some pretty good disscusions on this..

Oh yeah...I hope Qwiks does not see this..cause you could be reading awile..lol :D

·
Registered
846 Posts
Steelheart is correct, same as on your car, they will last along time unless you damage them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts