Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far do you need to press your magazine release button to get the mag to drop? Let's say you are using your other hand to put a little downard pressure on an empty mag.

Mine only takes about 1mm of travel. I suspect this hair trigger mag release situation may be part of the reason that I have had problems with the magazines dropping out of the gun when I fire it.

Taurus replaced the magazine catch/release for me, but even with the new part the movement needed to release is minimal. Thus, any variation in the dimensions of the magazine well or the magazine could lead to unintended mag release. That's my theory for now, anyway.

What do you guys think?

Take Care,

Mike Brown 24/7 Pro, .45ACP
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
250 rounds through mine and no issues....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went back to the range today and held my thumb away from the mag release and the mag still fell out, so if I'm not inadvertintly hitting it then the catch must not be holding it under the recoil

·
Registered
87 Posts
Common problem on the MPs also. Some have been cured with a replacment latech from Taurus. Others, like mine, required (home) milling of the tab that limits the travel of the latch. The downside of the milling is that the dead end of the latch is no longer flush with the frame. If the magazines were .020" wider they would not have this problem.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My 24/7 Pro C in 40 S&W had the same problem. I replaced the mag release, and spring, but it still had the same problem. Ended up sending it to Taurus and they had to replace the frame. Turned out the spring had enlarged it's hole, and was not applying any tension on the release.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts