Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of this happening to others before, but now it is finally my turn. One of the magazines of my PT111 has a distinct rattle, as if something were loose. It doesn't happen when it is empty. Only when I put the 4th,6th,8th,10th and sometimes 12th bullet in. Is there a way to fix this (on my part)?

Also, my friend who was in the military said that he has seen this many times and it isn't a big deal. True or false?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
My first guess is that cartridges are binding and allowing those immediately below them to rattle against each other. You might disassemble your magazine, clean it good, no lube other than something dry (silicone, etc.). Also try stretching you mag spring just a bit while you have it out... it may be getting weak.

Does anyone know where folks can get replacement mag springs... especially stronger springs... rather than Taurus. Wolf doesn't list springs for either the MilPro or 24/7 models.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have heard about this happening for a while now and it has happened on my PT140MilPro mags (3 of them). It has never given me a problem though.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I suspect that Wolff's generic mag springs would work just fine. Or barring that, I'd try S&W springs for a equivalent mag type (capacity & caliber).

If I'm not careful how I load I have the same issue with my XD mags.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw this thread and decided to go ahead and register and join the fray..... 8)
I have this "rattle" on both my 1911 mags and it seems that after about 3 or 4 rounds are loaded rounds 2 and below are no longer parallel to the top round and this gap causes the round to click or rattle when I try to seat them by tapping the back of the mag against my hand.
Is this normal?? ???

·
Administrator
40,273 Posts
Like Cimarron said, clean the mags good then lube with something dry. I have had this happen on a PT92 before and it was only annoying and not a problem. However after loading them, I could tap the back of the mag on my hand and the rattle would stop. :loco:

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Larry S. said:
I saw this thread and decided to go ahead and register and join the fray..... 8)
I have this "rattle" on both my 1911 mags and it seems that after about 3 or 4 rounds are loaded rounds 2 and below are no longer parallel to the top round and this gap causes the round to click or rattle when I try to seat them by tapping the back of the mag against my hand.
Is this normal?? ???
I don't remember ever having magazine rattle with my 1911 so I doubt its normal. Are these older mags? It almost sounds like your follower is tilting after it gets down the mag body a ways, allowing the rounds to tilt inside. Have you disassembled, cleaned and lubed the mags? Do the mags still feed reliably? Beyond that, do you have this issue with any other mags?

Steelheart

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
None of my magazines rattle. Check to see if the magazine followers are hanging up somewhere in the magazine. Make sure there are no rough edges or shifting/tilting.

As for a generic magazine spring, I suspect that Wolff's CZ75/Tanfoglio Magazine Springs come as close to being very generic as they are designed to work in both the .45's and 9mm's. Consider the +10% springs for the PT24/7 .45's, as that is what I use in my Tanfoglio EAA Witness .45's. For 9mm's and 1911's, use only +5% strength max. With the extra strength Springs they will be harder to load for a bit, but will wear in and last longer. Call Wolff and see what they have to say.

http://www.gunsprings.com/

·
Registered
241 Posts
My gun - 24/7 pro 9mm - is a week old. I loaded one of my mags with WWB 115gr JHP (10 rounds- max cap) and it rattled :eek: But didn't rattle when i put the mag in the gun.

My mags don't rattle when I load them with WWB 115gr FMJ. Weird!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My Wifes PT111 MilPro DOA does this with both mags. It has a little rattle when you load a odd or even number but not vice versa. I cant remember if its with an odd number it rattles or an even number but its only one or the other. Its done it from day one and it now has more then 8000 rounds through it with out a single jam or miss fire so Its not a big deal in my book ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts