Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My PT 740 is only a few days old, I have run 80 rounds through it with no probs. I did think the magazine was fairly hard to load, stiff spring I guess.

The manual says "keep the magazine completely loaded for 48 hours for complete accommodation of its internal components" which I have done.

My question is: are there any ill effects to keeping a magazine loaded all the time?

Im new to semi autos so bare with me!

Thanks

BTW any advice on speedloaders? Is it worth getting one?

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I keep mine loaded as well... And a magazine loader is one of the best things EVER invented!

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
The 740 mags are tight, but do loosen a bit over time. I still have to use extra effort on mag release to drop a loaded mag - empty no problem. I alternate my carry weapon 709/740/PT140 generally on a monthly basis, each with three fully loaded mags. When I rotate I empty the mags of pistol going to safe. My home defense Sigma SW40VE, I rotate it's mag with another to give it an empty rest when rotating CCW. I personally doubt there are any ill effects to leaving a mag fully loaded indefinitely, but don't, and I've had no mag problems with any of my pistols attributable to the mag itself.

As for the loader - you will never regret getting an UpLula.

PS - I have two - one for workbench and the other in range bag. I learned the hard way not to borrow from myself - leaving one on the bench and didn't have at the range. Ordered another as soon as I got home. LOL

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im ordering the UpLula today

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
You'll not regret that decision. LOL

Also, welcome to the Slim Family and the forum.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I keep the magazines on my Ruger LCP and the Glock 26 loaded all of the time since they
are part of my concealed carry rotation. They have gotten easier to load over time, the
compression has softened the magazine springs, especially on the Ruger LCP. Both of the
magazines still feed fine so there are no ill effects as of now.

·
Super Moderator
27,123 Posts
Keep them fully loaded. Springs do not wear when fully compressed or fully extended. The wear occurs during use. Keeping them fully loaded for a while will help to ease them.
BUT, if using an UPwhatever, test fire the weapon to make sure it will fire fully loaded. If you wish to CC a new weapon with a full mag, make sure it works. It may take time to get up to being able to use a full mag.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
IMHO magazines, all magazines are designed to be fully loaded and to stay that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts