Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well actually a couple of questions,
I bought my 1911 from a local dealer it was the one in the case and was the last one he had. The bad side of this is that somehow it didnt come with mags. He tried to make it right by giving me some that he had on the shelf for sale (kimber mags) I know that technically they should work and the do fit in the gun and I can cycle all 8 through the chamber but I can't load a full 8 rounds into the mag and then slide the mag into the gun without the slide being open so that it chambers one of the rounds when you disengage the slide stop. Basically my questions are as follows
1. Should i be able to insert a fully loaded clip into the gun without having to chamber a round? I would assume so
2. I am assuming that I have to manually engage the slide stop when there is no magazine in the gun, I cannot disengage the stop with an empty mag inserted but neither will it lock into place without a mag in the gun is this normal operation?
3. do you think that these mags will pose a problem and if so how do I go about getting the correct mags I don't think my local dealer stocks them so I assume I could give taurus a call for some unless anyone knows of some alternatives that would work

any and all suggestions are appreciated

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok here goes... Was this gun new or used. If new that is kind of odd to not have mags for a new gun.
Question 1: Yes you should be able to fully insert a mag without chambering a round.
Question 2: If no mag you must manually engage slide stop, if an empty mag is inserted slide stop can be disengaged.
Question 3: Not sure if these would pose a problem or not, my wife has a S&W 1911 and we can use each others mags
as well as Chip McCormick power mags.

I can cycle all 8 through the chamber but I can't load a full 8 rounds into the mag and then slide the mag into the gun without the slide being open so that it chambers one of the rounds when you disengage the slide stop. Are you saying that with the slide closed you can't insert a loaded 8 rd mag? If this is the case then I suggest buying some aftermarket mags like McCormicks. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
I had a kimber 8 round mag and it would not load the frist round just jam weather I pulled back on the slide or hit the slide release got to comparing the two and there is a difference if you hold them up to each other I think its going back for some Chip McCormicks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been lucky I guess, because I have tried Colt branded, no-name brand generic 8 round, and Chip McCormick power mags, and they all work fine in my PT1911. The factory mags from Taurus aren't anything special, I'd get the dealer to swap the Kimbers for the power mags, those are some nice mags.

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
I asked the dealer when I bought the kimber mag because I notice a slight size difference even though it fits he said it would be fine but if it didn't work bring it back. I do a lot of buisness with them so I see no problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I'll see if my dealer stocks the McCormick mags maybe they'll work its not that these won't work just maybe not as well as I would hope I may also give Taurus a call and see what some factory mags would cost as well

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Well I finally made it by my dealer's yesterday evening bought some targets since we were going to the range today and I asked him about the mags, they don't carry CMC mags there only kimbers but I do feel like kind of a moron. Apparrantly after discussing it with him, I just wasnt using enough force to put the mag into the gun :-[. So upon hearing this I tried it when I got home and it worked just fine. I may still order some different mags just to see though
I figured that the real test would be to put some range time on the mags and see if they were in fact useable. Long story short, the perfrormed just fine. Let me just say that this is my first time firing the gun in the month since I bought it (been itching to ever since I took it home) and it performed excellently, I shot about 100 rounds and pretty accurately to boot. I did experience one FTF but other than that it was basically, I pull the trigger and it went bang. The wife even shot it a couple of times and thought it was ok but I think she prefers her 9mm oh well just wanted to report in hope everyone is well

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
Novak mags are almost the exact duplicate of Taurus mags I almost think they make them for Taurus they are so close. and they funtion fine. My Kimber mags jamed the top round of an 8 round mag would nose dive every time. I did find when I slamed it hard into place it would work half the time, not good enough for carry novak work 100% so its novack or Chip McCormick for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 4 Taurus mags for my PT1911 and they have worked ok after over a year of use. I have 5 Wilson 47D mags for my Kimber Pro Carry II and they work great in my PT 1911. I may try the Kimber Tac Pro mags down the road but the Wilson mags are the standard by which all others are measured and like the old saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it". So may just stick with Wilson's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts