Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new (old stock) Taurus Millenium G2. I bought it over the G2C because it had an older production date, and thus the lifetime warranty.

unfortunately I have not even gotten to the range yet and I am already having problems.

The first thing I did was to check the magazines for feed by cycling the pistol manually through a full magazine. I cound that every time it would jam. The cartridge nose would be plowed directly into the bottom of the feed ramp. The magazine was locked in properly. I noticed however if I slapped the magazine in hard, vs. insering it gently, that the problem would not occur. Likewise, when the problem occured on a gently inserted (but fully locked) magazine, the problem could be corrected via an immediate action drill where I would slap the bottom of the magazine and rack the slide, or rather sling shot it sinceit had not moved yet.

The other magazine seems to work fine, even when I gently insert it. Although it did exibit the problem once at random.

Do I just have a bad magazine/magazines or is it a bad magazine catch or something else.

This does not exactly inspire my confidence of the pistol.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Did you let the magazines sit loaded for awhile to break in the springs? That usually helps. I don't think many semi auto pistols like slowly cycling by hand, . You should always slingshot the slide closed on the first round and recoil does the work on the rest.

Get to the range, slam a mag in and test it that way. Then report back as too how it worked.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I hope you were using snap caps and not live ammo for this "test". I'll agree with everyone else, shoot it and then come back to report your findings. I will also add that in my own experience my two Taurus autos need a pretty firm grip to allow the slide to operate correctly.

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
Some good info already given.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got off the phone with Taurus after about a 30 minute hold. They suspect a magazine problem. They are sending me a replacent magazine and say to keep the old one for parts. If that does not solve it, than it is a pistol issue so they say to send it in for repairs, but to ret the new magazine first. Better service than I was expecting really. I feel better about the purchase now. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
37,282 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois! The gun is designed to explode that cartridge and slam that slide backward and forward to strip the next round and slam it into the chamber for the next firing pin strike. If you follow the above advice, I'll bet even the "bad" magazine will work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've seen the issue you have encountered when using Hornady Critical Duty/Defense in the G2. But only Critical Defense/Duty. And once I strip the mag and cycle the slide (immediate action), it's usually okay.

Aside from racking that first round in, though, I've never had that same issue.

I think other's advice about simply shooting the G2 and seeing if the issue repeats is the best idea.

·
Registered
36,802 Posts
I just bought a new (old stock) Taurus Millenium G2. I bought it over the G2C because it had an older production date, and thus the lifetime warranty.

unfortunately I have not even gotten to the range yet and I am already having problems.

The first thing I did was to check the magazines for feed by cycling the pistol manually through a full magazine. I cound that every time it would jam. The cartridge nose would be plowed directly into the bottom of the feed ramp. The magazine was locked in properly. I noticed however if I slapped the magazine in hard, vs. insering it gently, that the problem would not occur. Likewise, when the problem occured on a gently inserted (but fully locked) magazine, the problem could be corrected via an immediate action drill where I would slap the bottom of the magazine and rack the slide, or rather sling shot it sinceit had not moved yet.

The other magazine seems to work fine, even when I gently insert it. Although it did exibit the problem once at random.

Do I just have a bad magazine/magazines or is it a bad magazine catch or something else.

This does not exactly inspire my confidence of the pistol.
MY suggestion if its a NOS Taurus then thoroughly strip (to the point that you are comfortable doing) and clean the hell out of it, thoroughly, then maybe clean it again.
Taurus uses preservatives in the gun and once they have set in the weapon/mags for a while then you get a really nice old brown glob of ugly stuff that use to be preservative.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Wow.......you actually got them to send something out to you!!! The usual response is you have to send it back to them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I read that you are always supposed to slap the magazine in hard. It seats the magazine correctly. You aren't supposed to just push it in gently

·
Registered
36,802 Posts
I read that you are always supposed to slap the magazine in hard. It seats the magazine correctly. You aren't supposed to just push it in gently
well usually its great idea NOT TO BABY anything that you do with a semi Auto, seat the mag firmly, drop the slide rapidly, release the thumb safety crisply---etc-etc-etc.
I don't know so much about slapping the mag but to each their own.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts