Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new magazine for my 24/7 DS OSS and it's doing the strangest thing; after every round it's locking the slide to the rear. It's not doing it with any other magazine, just this new one fresh from the blister pack. Yes, it is the correct magazine. Anyone have any suggestions as tot the cause and correction?

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Can we presume you used the same ammo in the new one as the others? Often it's the ammo that trips the slide lock. It still could be if the new magazine is holding the cartridges slightly more to the left of center than the others I guess. Somehow. Doesn't seem likely though.

This usually occurs from:

The ammo hits the slide lock protrusion as it feeds.
Your thumb is engaging it during recoil.

But in your case it should be neither as you don't have the problem with other magazines. Carefully compare the bad mag with a good one. Something is different up there at the top.

Does the mag lock up tight?

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
This one's odd. There's got to be something pushing the slide lock up during recoil. Interesting problem, but I don't have an answer.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
Perhaps the feed lips on the magazine are to wide and the follower is high enough to catch the slide lock even when the mag has ammo in it?
are you using full mags or just a few rounds to test the mag?
in any case I would look at the different mags and see if there is a difference in the followers/ taper of the feed lips etc.
OF course I would mention this but I am sure that we as humans are not making mistakes and pushing up on the slide lock as we shoot!
of course I also would not suggest that you check hand position on the weapon as you fire.
nooo not me I ain't even bringing that up.

Reactions: Divebum and mingaa

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
Well, if the feed lips were wide enough to allow the follower to engage the slide lock, it would only happen on the last round, not every round.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It seems to me that if two magazines work ok and one does not it must be the magazine not the gun. Olfahors suggested checking the retainer lips of the malfunctioning magazine. I agree. I had a problem with SW SD9VE magazinem I bought used on gunbroker. On a close comparison with some measurements it turned out that one lip was bent. Filled with itms bitmsnd it worked OK. If yours is an OEM part I would call Taurus and askreturn for a substitute.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
It seems to me that if two magazines work ok and one does not it must be the magazine not the gun. Olfahors suggested checking the retainer lips of the malfunctioning magazine. I agree. I had a problem with SW SD9VE magazinem I bought used on gunbroker. On a close comparison with some measurements it turned out that one lip was bent. Filled with itms bitmsnd it worked OK. If yours is an OEM part I would call Taurus and askreturn for a substitute.
Dude, cut back on the coffee! :rofl:

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Mxlpxlyx? Katu baratta nikto! :rofl: :icon_ poke:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I had a third issue with a 92 slide stop spring was the culprit

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Does it happen with all ammo? If it happens with some bullet weights/profiles but not with others then it's likely connected with the cartridge activating the slide stop.

For a guess, since the failure happens with each cartridge throughout the magazine (if I read the OP correctly) it sounds as if one magazine, for whatever reason, is holding the cartridges slightly further forward in the gun than other magazines.

If you lock the slide back and look into the magazine well, can you compare where the different magazines hold the cartridges, relative to the slide stop?

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
220 Posts
Get as new mag. I never would use a faulty one plus they don't cost a fortune. We carry 3 on duty and on the range they get tramped on, fall to the floor after emptied, whatever. Mags are there to be used and if they are . Many years back we were told to hold the empty mag between two fingers of the left hand (or right that is if you were a left-hander), because of the costs... this was such a stupid idea. I've seen officers picking the empty mag up during drills. Anyway, that's gone.

Get a new one, don't depend on a maybe broken mag...

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
This sounds somewhat familiar to me. Is there any possibility that the magazine spring is turned the wrong direction? I’m probably way wrong, but it might be worth the time to disassemble that magazine and check it out. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts