Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the other thread about my surplus CZ 83 (.380 Auto) having FTF issues. I cleaned the slide during a detail strip, polished the feed ramp and went out yesterday to see if it improved. It didn't and I started having primer ignition failures also with the last probably due to the Wolf primers in the reloads. I forgot to bring the half box of factory UMC rounds that I have to test that theory, but the ones that fired had good primer indent marks. Many of the ones that didn't go were fired on the second strike.

I had a pliers in my range bag and decided to pinch the mag lips closer and found success with the little bit I tried. I suspect that using my UpLula may have caused the issue as the "tongue" on the loader is very close to the spread distance on the mag lips.

For those who have had issues like this, needing to adjust the mag lip distance, did you just pinch them closer together? How do they stay in tolerance? There is also a slight hook on the top edge of the lip...do you change this angle?

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: silverstring

·
8,902 Posts
Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
37,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ Yikes! Those tools are expensive! :eek:

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
867 Posts
Recently came across a beautiful Kimber. Came with one flush mag. The rounds would nose dive so I took my needle nose pliers & closed the lips a tad so there was some resistance when I loaded the rounds. To my surprise, it worked. Every round now feeds like it should. My point is, it may or may not work. Do it gently as you shoot & hopefully you will get some good results. Can't think of any reason why you shouldn't give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
37,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Recently came across a beautiful Kimber. Came with one flush mag. The rounds would nose dive so I took my needle nose pliers & closed the lips a tad so there was some resistance when I loaded the rounds. To my surprise, it worked. Every round now feeds like it should. My point is, it may or may not work. Do it gently as you shoot & hopefully you will get some good results. Can't think of any reason why you shouldn't give it a try.
The dicey part is the slight hook" at the top of the lips and trying to get that angle right. I have a pair of **** pliers that I think are smooth on the jaw surface so they don't bung up the metal and give me another issue to correct.

I put some rounds in the mag and when I push them out the lower leading edge of the case hits the mag body. This must be the action that it flipping the round up higher than the feed ramp. I am going to load some dummy rounds to work the slide on my bench as I play with the mag lip adjustment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts