Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A trip to the range today was a short one after one of my supplied magazines had a failure on the front follower. Pretty weak if you ask me...glad was at the range and not while in a defensive situation.

This magazine only has about 400 rounds through it has not been any trouble prior to today. Made for a short range day but any day at the range is better than work!

Has anyone else had the front part of the follower just break? I'm looking at either Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat as replacements. Any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I'm going to guess and say this happened on a 1911. On my 1911 the Chip McCormick magazines work just great and they're less money than the Wilson Combat. The Wilson Combat is a higher quality that comes at a higher price.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I was gonna ask what kind of gun, but considering the way you asked about specific brands I'll guess it's for a 1911. Most people have good success with Chip McCormick mags here on the forum. I have no real suggestion personally as I have a RIA 1911 with Kimber magazines that have been flawless.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I have never experienced that before Bill, but I have had the ear on the slide stop brake off. Either of those companies make good mags. Hope you get it resolved soon.

cats welcome back.jpg

It has been awhile!

Edit Note: Hey guys! What forum is his thread in?:icon_ poke::icon_ banana::icon_ banana: PT-1911 right?

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I love Wilson mags.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have had good luck with the McCormick mags. My only complaint is the non-removable base plate on the Shooting Star model.

·
Registered
36,606 Posts
That is exactly why one should always have at least 2 magazines for any semi auto that they carry!
magazines do fail in many reasons at any time.
Personally I have in excess of 35 1911 magazines likely 14-15 brands and I have no more bad luck with one brand than the other, when I go to the range I grab a 1911 and I grab 2-3 magazines and off I go.
My only mistake was grabbing a 1911 in 45 and grabbing 3 -1911 magazines in 38 super!
now that was a bit of a bummer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have 2 taurus mags and 2 mec-gar and never had a problem with either, mec gar are also very good magazines,just had her out today ran 200 rounds through her and no problems, anyway any of the magazines talked about should work great

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
If just the followers there are several decent ones. I like WC and Tripp. I took new Shooting Star magazines and replace the guts with Tripp Super-7 upgrade kits. Keep in mind the kit takes the capacity down to seven if doing an 8 round magazine. Also the followers can be shallow / deep depending on 7 or 8 rounds. I prefer followers with the front skirt.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Wilson combat for me! Never had a problem with the Taurus 1911 magazines either.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Unless changed, PT1911s ship with ACT magazines, which I find to be very good. Same Italian magazine found with full size .45 Rocks and other brands. I believe Taurus has ACT leave the ACT name off the magazine.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Unless changed, PT1911s ship with ACT magazines, which I find to be very good. Same Italian magazine found with full size .45 Rocks and other brands. I believe Taurus has ACT leave the ACT name off the magazine.
Rock Islands also come with ACT magazines, only reason I don't like it is the plastic base plate. I prefer the flush fit base of the Kimber mags.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts