Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Magazine drops when fire-arm is discharged. Need advice.

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Mrlucky353 
#1 ·
Recently (several months ago) purchased a PT911 from GunsAmerica.com. It's a great little handgun for the money. Fairly accurate at 25 yards or less.

My problem is; that when I discharge a round or two, the magazine drops out and I have to load a round into the chamber again before I can fire.

For self protection (should I ever be in that situation) this can pose a serious problem. As we currently have no carry law on the books in Illinois (no CC or OC) but will likely have one soon.... (hopefully SHALL and not MAY) I fully intend on obtaining a license/permit to conceal and carry. That being said, I would like to carry my PT911 and need this issue to be solved soon.

SO... not sure if the issue itself originates with the magazines (which are Beretta mags) or the gun itself. If anyone else has this issue or at least knows how one could possibly fix this soon... please let me know. I will call Taurus International again on Monday... because apparently customer service is closed on the weekends; which is why I am here. Haven't fired my wife's PT911 yet, but I almost expect to have the same issue with hers as well.

Overall; like I said.... I like the gun. It's a good little medium frame handgun. I just don't want to worry about this issue should I (or my wife) ever be in the situation where we use it for self-defense.

To whomever can help, appreciate it.

the Pharcas!

See less See more
#2 ·
I cannot offer any help/advice on the PT911; I do not own one.
But hopefully, someone may come along to offer some insight on your problem.
By the way, welcome from South Tulsa.

#5 ·
I have the same problem, but with a PT 140.

Reactions: Wino
#9 · (Edited)
Had same problem with PT140MP - swapped mags with Taurus, no help; resolved I wasn't "thumbing" mag release (you'll be blamed, but rarely happens); returned to Taurus and they replaced mag release assembly and no further problems. Call Taurus and see if they will send you a new mag release assembly or if the gun is relatively new, get them to pay freight and return for repair - mine turned in about 12 days. The mag release problem during shooting on the PT140's was quite prevalent for a period of time. Taurus may or may not sell you the parts - mag release assembly was on restricted parts list but may not be now. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

If they will send you the assembly, there are several threads regarding procedure to replace - takes patience and time, flashlight and long skinny screw driver.

#6 · (Edited)
It sounds like one of two things may be going on, it's either the hole on the mag isn't sized right or the tip of the catch in the gun is worn down. I experienced the same thing with my 945 using two different Taurus magazines, my solution was to take a pair of needle nosed pliers and lift the upper portion of the mag catch hole on each magazine just a hair or two. Enough to get better positive contact, but not enough to drag in and out of the magwell. Now the only problems I have with it are new shooters always hit the mag release with their thumb, and keeping it clean because everyone wants to shoot it. Ported barrels can be such a pain to clean after long range sessions.

A third possibility which is a tad more rare is that as the rounds feed up the magazine, they ride the side of the magazine and bump the catch just enough as they feed up that the mag is hanging on by a hope and prayer. So once you shoot a round, the recoil jars the mag just enough to let off the catch and drop out the gun.

#8 ·
Well, maybe Mrlucky353, can benefit. Montkun, mentioned in his post, the shooters thumb coming into contact with the mag release while shooting. Be a good idea to check yourself for that.

#10 ·
My first suspicion would be non-OEM magazines. Before anything else I suggest trying to get hold of a Taurus magazine. (I have no idea whether that is posssible.)

#11 ·
On my PT 140, the catch on the mag release looks worn (compared with a newer PT 140).

I plan to send it in to Taurus for repair.

#14 ·
Don't take this personally, but is it possible that your left thumb is on/near the magazine release button? My GF had that problem with her HK....

#15 ·
BTW, pardon my manners....

Welcome to the forum and the Taurus family from NJ !

Postage stamp Paper product

#16 ·
Thanks Scalpel, and yours is a valid question.

After it first happened, I slow fired a few shots consciously keeping my thumbs and grip away from the release button.
It still happened.

I also tried the magazine in another PT 140, and the mag worked fine there.

Reactions: Wino
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.