Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 1400 rounds, my PT 145 has started to drop the magazine during shooting, as some others have experienced. As far as I can tell, however, it's only happening with one magazine, not the other.

It first started happening a few months ago, and I though maybe my thumb, or the handall grip was inadvertently hitting the mag release, but it isn't - I shot it tonight and I paid special attention to those things. Again, only happened with one of the two mags. As per others observations about their own guns, my gun also has a very light and sensitive mag release button.

Would it make sense just to replace that mag, or do you think I should send the gun back? I've heard some folks say they've sent their gun back, but never really had the problem solved. This gun has way too many great qualities for me to ever consider getting rid of it, even though my PT 1911 is now my favorite .45. But I can't trust that one magazine, so if I'm going to carry it, it will only be a one magazine gun. Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I might do that if my cheap and easy fix doesn't work. I altered the shape of the mag slightly so that the catch on the mag release system makes more positive contact with the slot on the mag. I haven't fired it yet so I don't if it works or not, but the problem mag now requires much more pressure on the button to make it release, so it seems promising. The only draw back is that the slightly modified mag doesn't drop from the gun quite as easy during INTENTIONAL release, either, but as it breaks in, it gets a little better.

I'll give more details if my approach works.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I fired my PT 145 today, and it seems that my cheap and easy fix resolved the magazine dropping problem for now. Problem is, now my second magazine, which was working properly up till today, has started dropping during firing as well , so I'll have to the same thing to it.

Anyway, what I did to resolve the issue was to concentrate on modding the mag rather than the gun. I took the magazine apart and took out the spring. I found a nail that was thin enough to fit through the holes in the mag that tell you how many rounds are left. One hole is labeled "5" and the other, at the bottom of the mag, is labeled "10."

I put the mag housing on a piece of scrap wood, with the holes (mentioned above) facing up. I put the nail through the hole labeled "5" till the tip of the nail was touching the other side of the magazine (on the inside.) I then pounded on the nail a few times, which created dimple(s) in the mag housing (on the left side), from the inside pushing out. So that you see little bumps on the side of the magazine.

What these little bumps on the left side of the magazine do is push the magazine a little bit to the right when the magazine is installed in the gun, making the slot in the mag move to the right as well so that the mag catch has a better hold of the slot. And hopefully won't release when you don't want it to.

Caveats:
- The bumps look a little ugly, but shouldn't hinder mag function as they won't obstruct the follower or spring.
- It can make the mag a little more difficult to push into the gun, but not much.
- It will require more pressure to release the mag with the mag release button.
- If you make the bumps too big or high, the mag may not fall free when you change mags. This could create a bad tactical situation. You can file bumps that are too high or let them wear down with use.

Can't see any down other down sides at this point.

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Unfortunately, gun magazines like tires and truck batteries are perishable items that eventually wear out and have to be replaced.

Some last tens of thousands or rounds others only thousands; its the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, gun magazines like tires and truck batteries are perishable items that eventually wear out and have to be replaced.

Some last tens of thousands or rounds others only thousands; its the luck of the draw.
Yeah, I wonder if maybe that's what was making my mags drop in the first place? They were wearing out? I would have less than 1000 rounds on each of them, so I wouldn't think so, but you never know. I'm going to fix the other mag, then go out and shoot a couple of hundred rounds. If I have no problems, I'll call it fixed.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I would guess that the problem is the magazine release itself, not the magazines. Sounds like the spring has weakened with use and is not locking the mags in.

Reactions: Rossi and Panda

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I would guess that the problem is the magazine release itself, not the magazines. Sounds like the spring has weakened with use and is not locking the mags in.
Exactly! I ran across the same problem recently with my 24/7 Pro 45. I replaced both the spring and the mag release. Works like a charm now. Good luck with yours.

Reactions: Rossi

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly! I ran across the same problem recently with my 24/7 Pro 45. I replaced both the spring and the mag release. Works like a charm now. Good luck with yours.

Panda, were you able to order those items? I'd rather pay for the parts than pay to send the gun in. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Panda, were you able to order those items? I'd rather pay for the parts than pay to send the gun in. Thanks.
Yes, you can order the parts directly from Taurus CS. If your magazines are less than a year old, you can send them in for free replacements as well, but talk to them about that first.

Reactions: Rossi
1 - 11 of 11 Posts