Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a Pt-111 but have my doubts because a friend has one and when we go to the range almost always it fails to shoot because the magazine disengages when we are shooting and the slide doesn't enter a fresh round into the chamber. I shoot a lot and I own several guns: FN P-9, Walther P-5C, CZ P-01, Walther PP, and have never experienced that failure. I'm not sure if it is a particular problem with this gun or if it is a bad design problem. The question is: Have anybody of you people suffered this issue with your PT-111?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Short of bumping the magazine release by accident (which happens on all pistols at one time or another), it could be a bad/worn catch. Should be a simple repair since we now all have a section on how to remove/swap out the magazine release button (which I wrote...hehehe).

If you examine it and it proves to be the problem, maybe Richard with Taurus can set you up with one ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
'Scuze the impertinence of a Taurus noob, but...

After reading posts on the premature ejaculation of Millennium Pro magazines while firing, I got concerned and did some googling and found that one probable cause was incorrect thumb placement, ie: not placing the strong hand's thumb in the so-called (by Taurus) "memory pad"

When I hold my Millennium Pro PT145 compact, I can see that it might be natural to forget and place the thumb of the strong side hand on the mag release button.

Result: "Squeeze", "BOOM", "Thump" (magazine dropping to deck).

Tks

·
Registered
87 Posts
I suggest that it is difficult, not easy, to press on the magazine release when shooting the gun. The magazine catch issue is just one of dimension stack up. In some guns/magazine/catch combinations, the catch only engages the magazine by a few thousands. On a given gun you can cure this by using a wider magazine, like the Promag, or installing a magazine catch with a wider tab or additional travel. I tried a new catch to no avail, but I cured mine by milling the tab to get some more travel. The downside to this fix is that the catch is a bit "sunken" on the blind side. Even after this fix, one only has to push the catch .035" to drop the magazine. Taurus could put this issue to bed by making two or three different size catches and doing some selective fitting. I still like the gun and intend to work through this even If I have to make my own latch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem with my brand new pt 140. I read that it can help to clean and oil the gun to remove and crap from the factory, and I noticed that the slide was ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to remove once the pin was out. I did everything that the people on youtube were doing (I know I am a video junkie) and I did everything that they suggested. While their slide came off without a hitch, mine needed close to brute force. This leeds me to believe that the frame is somehow warped or something similar. I am going to the shop that I bought it from, and seeing what I can do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new PT140Pro and the clip drops almost every time. I am not hitting the release button, in fact I moved my thumbs so that it couldn't be the case. Any ideas to correct the problem?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Recently I too experienced problems with magazine retention.

After >600 rounds thru my PT145 Pro with no issues, suddenly
at least once per magazine while firing my carry cartridge (Speer
185gr Gold Dot) the mag slips out. Didn't happen before.

Thorough cleaning of the catch, area and mags has not improved
the problem. This has made this pistol unreliable, and unsuitable
for carry.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have sent my pistol in to Taurus for service, and I will reply with the results. It seems as if a recall may be in order.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I milled the catch stop tab about .025" and it helped, but I still dropped the mag one time in 50 rounds. One time too many. The MagPro magazine is about .030" wider and it does not fall out but it won't feed worth a darn so it is going back to Midway. Anyone got a plan? Otherwise, I am finally learning to shoot this short barreled 45 and really like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts