Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I noticed something that causes me some concern when inserting the mag into the weapon. If I strike the butt of the mag, it causes it to disengage from the spring plate. Those familiar with the mags for the 24/7 and like models know that to disassemble the mag you have to push the spring back into the magazine. There is a raised "lip" on the spring plate that locks into a hole on the butt plate. When I strike the mag to insert it, this lip comes out of the retaining hole. Which causes (or can cause) the butt plate on the mag to slide forward. This concerns me because in a stressful situation it is possible that the magazine can fall apart.

I am wondering if I bend that small lip slightly more upward would it fix the problem? Or should I just contact Taurus and see what they say?

Mods: I wasn't sure if this should go in the 24/7 section or here. I put it here since the main question involved a modification to a magazine that is similar for several different models of guns.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
You guys are so violent when loading your mags :???: I guess it could be a problem if the whole thing comes apart and all your rounds fall on the floor. ;D I have not noticed this with the PT111, but I guess it is one more thing to look for. Geeze :rolleyes:

This could be one to check with Taurus about, but I do not have a good answer from your first report.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I haven't seen this type of problem with mine and I've put more than a few rounds through it. :shooter: :shooter:

·
Administrator
18,303 Posts
Did you by chance, take your Magazines apart for cleaning, and reassemble them with the retainer lip towards the FRONT of the magazine? The Retainer lip should be facing toward the BACK of the Magazine.

Have had no problems at all with my 9mm 24/7 or it's Magazines.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did take them apart to clean them when I had just bought the gun. However, the retainer lip does face rearward (low end at the front high end at the back. Maybe I am just smacking them too hard and with too much of an angle. But if I put in a full mag & the slide is closed, I have to whack it pretty good to get it to lock in.

Maybe I don't know my own strength?

HULK SMASH!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Just bend the tab a bit, but be careful not to break it or bend it too far. I have had the same problem with several taurus magazines and it is a simple fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts