Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for the best magwell out there for the PT1911 9mm. Please advise.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Don't know about 'best', but I would suggest to start looking at World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells., as there are several options. I added a Smith & Alexander with the arched MSH that I got at a local gun show. There are others that attach under the grip screws, and Hogue has a set of grips that form the magwell underneath, just to name a few. Any MilSpec 1911 part should fit, but be aware that 'drop-in' doesn't always work exactly, and might require some hand fitting. Good luck, and remember... The second best thing to shopping for a new gun, is getting new accessories. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
Having never had a problem with speed reloads in the 1911 platform for over 50 years, I have to say I don't see the need...BUT.

They do seem to be popular enough to keep a number of companies in business.

"Smith & Alexander" seems to be the most commonly seen copy in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I've never used them either, but like Moondawg I do see Smith & Alexanders alot when I see them.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
While the two parts designs let you remove the mag well with minimum work they also ted to work loose, so I don't recommend them.
Like others I have had good experience with the S&A mag wells and they also are the only one piece on the market!

·
Registered
36,649 Posts
yep!
I am kind of with the other guys!
the only magwell that i would put on a 1911 would be a 1911 with a rail system!
and as i won't own a 1911 with a rail, that eliminates the thought process of a magwell.
But wish you luck with finding one that works for you.

Reactions: stickem2

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm happy with the flat MSH mag well from S&A though the checkering is 25 LPI but my factory Mags work fine with out having to shave them down like with the Wilson mag well, I did have to file down the top tab cause it was activating my beaver tail safety removed some metal and the safety came back far enough not to be activated.

Cuban

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
...i won't own a 1911 with a rail...
Aw, come on now, olfarhors...one of these days some company will come out with a railed 1911 that will catch your eye, and you won't be able to live without it. :cool:

Never say "never"!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I love my Ed Brown Maxi-well with snakeskin MSH...not too big, doesn't add to the length past the magazine, and IMHO looks pretty sweet.

·
Super Moderator
36,966 Posts
I put the S & A flat MSH magwell on my PT1911 in hopes of increasing my speed of mag changes at IPSC matches...unfortunately there is no substitute for PRACTICE! :rolleyes: Other pluses, is you have a large hand (I don't) the arched MSH can add to the circumference of the grip for better handling. PT1911 C5.JPG

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,649 Posts
Aw, come on now, olfarhors...one of these days some company will come out with a railed 1911 that will catch your eye, and you won't be able to live without it. :cool:

Never say "never"!
HMMMM? you could be right, but the last 1911 that i saw that had a rail attached to it that i liked had LIONEL on the side of it!
yep, a toy locomotive!-Griiin.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A word of caution on magwells: I recently purchased a used PT1911 that has an aftermarket magwell. The additional material of the magwell will not allow the factory Taurus magazine to seat correctly (the magwell contacts the factory design baseplate). My Kimber Pro mags and Chip McCormick's go in with no problem but the factory mag is a no-go with the magwell.

BK

·
Banned
893 Posts
A word of caution on magwells: I recently purchased a used PT1911 that has an aftermarket magwell. The additional material of the magwell will not allow the factory Taurus magazine to seat correctly (the magwell contacts the factory design baseplate). My Kimber Pro mags and Chip McCormick's go in with no problem but the factory mag is a no-go with the magwell.

BK
have you not thought it may be just your pistol that has this problem? I don't have any problems at all ZERO. I have a fusion magwell with the MSH in one piece.

·
Registered
175 Posts
have you not thought it may be just your pistol that has this problem? I don't have any problems at all ZERO. I have a fusion magwell with the MSH in one piece.
Could be. This is my first 1911 so I was definitely surprised that the aftermarket magwell did not allow the factory mag to seat properly. It has to do with interference between the magwell lips and the base design of the factory mag. I have no problems when using the Kimber Pro mags or the Chip McCormicks. I have the feeling it is the design of the magwell. I never said that all magwells would exhibit this issue, only that the OP be aware of the possibility.

BK

·
Banned
893 Posts
BK, you are the first one that I have heard of that had this problem that is why I said it may be yours. I know with my Gold cup I have to use magazines with the bumper pad, if I don't I have to push really hard on the bottom of the magazine to where my thumb hurts. I just use magazines with the bumper only if I shot my GC. You know these guns are like cars, when you start adding aftermarket parts usually you have a problem that leads to another problem and on and on. I try to keep my guns stock but the most thing I do change on my pistols is the grips.

is your magwell and MSH 1 piece or do the grip screws hold the magwell in place?

·
Super Moderator
36,966 Posts
I had forgotten this, but I had to take a file to the base pads of the OEM PT1911 mags also to gain clearance between my S & A magwell.

·
Registered
175 Posts
there ya go BK, it may be the equiptment. Is yours a S & A magwell?
Unsure on the brand. I bought the gun used and cannot find a brand name on the aftermarket magwell.

I had considered filing the edges of the factory baseplate to allow fitment but decided not to.

Darn. Now it looks like I need to buy another 1911 so I can use this magazine!!! :)

BK

1 - 20 of 22 Posts