Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello nice folks,

So I got this very odd problem I searched here and my search phrases did not return way particular problem.

I traded an old _______ for this almost new in the box PT 24/7G2, ya I knew the trigger was UN-impressive , long travel and 'hard' (( that's an understatement lol )) to say the least but I like a challenge and now can shoot it with left or right hand, one-handed fast and reasonably accurate. I now have Bruce Lee trigger fingers lol. Give me a Glock or M&P and I will accidentally break the trigger shoe lol (( just kidding ))

Well, the magazines will NOT release when ambidextrous mag release button attempt is made to depress it, because mag release button 'sticks' frozen !

First I have 3 magazines, 2 came with the Pt 24/7 G2 new in the clamshell case/box as a brand new gun package and the 3rd is a new old stock factory magazine I just bought in the original factory package so all 3 are original OEM factory mag's.

Strangely, I can operate the ambi mag release button in both directions and the fully loaded with Hornady Critical Duty ammo and it will fall free of the gun as normal over and over again, BUT if I merely place the gun in my concealed carry holster and wear it all day as I always do (( I NEVER leave my cave without my club )) I can come back home take out my gun in order to take off my purpose made concealed carry belt - holster rig and when I go to drop the mag >> no savvy nada the magazine release button will inevitably be totally frozen in the locked neutral, ready to fire / use the weapon position thus keeping the magazine locked into the gun ! ! !

I have tried with both thumbs with my pretty strong hands to free up the button a the bottom to no avail and so as it is right now I have a 1 magazine , 1 trick pony weapon !

I have to tap the button with a small head rubber hammer in order to get the button to un-freeze and release the magazine and inevitably a single round will also fall free as the magazine falls free. No matter what magazine I use this is the same problem and note this, this only started in the last month or so and I have done absolutely zero to this gun except clean it and oil it.

I have been a pretty active shooter, gun collector, owner for many many decades and this is the 1st time have ever had this type of issue.

What say You folks ? Any ideas or help would be appreciated ?

regards StuckMag Steve lol

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I don't know the real answer here- never had a 24/7.

But?....try this?....put upward pressure on the bottom of the mag when mashing the release. If that helps- then try loading one less round...see if that helps.

·
Administrator
40,259 Posts
Will the magazine drop free with the slide locked back?

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BroJohn and SmokeWagon ....Sorry for the late reply I'm not receiving notifications to my e-mail.

So to answer You both.

BroJohn: I have tried pushing and slapping the mag up that small fraction off looseness that You can see and feel and nothing changes and so that does not help, the mag will still stay stuck in the pistol. Note: I have already taken out 2 rounds and the problem still persists.

SmokeWagon: I just emptied the mag then reinserted it pulled the slide back to lock open and with it open I depressed the mag release and the mag fell right out.

Does this give You a clue ?

Could it be an ammo issue, I use Hornady Critical Duty ?

regards

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Have you tried to remove the mag release and look at the catch? Lube the snot out of it, maybe, as well...just thinking out loud...(I do have a 24/7G2C 9mm and have never had this issue, though - and have 6 mags)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried to remove the mag release and look at the catch? Lube the snot out of it, maybe, as well...just thinking out loud...(I do have a 24/7G2C 9mm and have never had this issue, though - and have 6 mags)
UPDATE: I have noticed that when I have a fully topped off mag in the pistol, I then rack the slide (( properly = pull back al the way and instantly let go in one smooth fast move )) and then the first few rounds will NOT chamber they will stop - jam before & below the feed ramp ! ! !

So could I have a mag spring tension problem that is "pushing" the top round up into the pistol way too hard thus putting downward pressure on the mag release button, possibly misaligning the mage to pistol fit ? ? ?

Once I take out a few rounds then all of a sudden the pistol will properly chanmber and keep chambring as I rack out all the rounds.

I haven't taken the mag release button out, it looks a little too much of a gunsmith job for my taste

What say You ?

·
Administrator
40,259 Posts
It's starting to sound like it could be a magazine issue, but I would think it very rare for all three mags to do the same thing, if that were the case.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This may seem a stupid suggestion but I would check the mags to confirm they are actually for your 24/7G2. Maybe you got the Gen1 mags. After all, humans make human errors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This may seem a stupid suggestion but I would check the mags to confirm they are actually for your 24/4G2. Maybe you got the Gen1 mags. After all, humans make human errors.
Thanks for asking. 2 of my 3 mags came from the factory packed with the gun.
All 3 of my mags say "PT 24/7/G2 " on them .
regards

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had this problem with a few mags in the past. I took the simple solution snipped the "bottom" of the spring.

I made certain I had enough spring to "point" the same way as the original position of the "bottom".

Worked like a charm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts