Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently bought my 709 slim and after disassembly, thorough cleaning, reassembly, I noticed serious play in the magazine follower. It rocks back and forth quite a bit. I tried putting the spring in a couple different ways and it didn't seem to do anything. I'm kid of nervous to take it out and shoot like this because it may cause issues (ftf most likely). Being a taurus and 709 FNG I may be worrying for no reason. Any thoughts? I would just go buy a new magazine, but obviously this is easier said than done in this current time. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I would take the magazine apart and re-assemble with the spring pointing up in the same direction as the follower when it is installed in the magazine. When you get it installed that way, you should go out and shoot the gun to see how it functions. You may, or may not have a problem. You won't know til you shoot it. With it rocking back and forth, the only thing I think may not work correctly is the follower may not make contact with the tab that holds the slide open after shooting the last round. If this is the case, then you should call customer service and see if they will send you a new magazine. They may require you to send in the faulty one, but see if they will let you do that after you receive the new one so you will not be without a magazine. Hope that helps and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Empty - If you're referring to front-to-back rocking - normal. If side-to-side - abnormal. As HD-Mike said, be sure mag is assembled properly with spring in correct orientation. This applies to all four of my 709 mags and no problems feeding (none have been completely disassembled - just replaced stock bottom with Pierce extension). The 740 mags are tighter than a tick - no rock at all.

OOPS! Pardon my rudeness.............................welcome to the Slim family and the forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.