Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have the G2 DA/SA DS .40, specs says 15+1 but how come the magazine holds 14? No biggie but just wondering

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Because the springs are so tight that you can't wedge the 15th in there without a shoe horn. +1 to the UpLula suggestion, i need one just so i don't have to load .22's by hand. Those tiny points tear my thumbs up sometimes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I take it those are far better than the factory speed loader the pistol comes with?

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
One UpLula will cover just about any magazine that goes from .22 LR's up to .45 ACP.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I just got my Uplula today and loaded 10 mags of 45 in no time and my thumbs don't hurt. Instead of pushing and squeezing, you just drop the bullets in. Here's my vote for product of the year. :guns:

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
Dude, after you're finished shooting, load 14 rounds in you mag and leave em for a week or two; they will break in. :D

A couple of my 10 round .45 ACP PT145 magazines would only hold 9 rounds when brand new.

After a week of staying loaded with 9, they all loaded 10 just fine without breaking any thumbs. ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny how you mentioned that, I've been keeping 14 rounds of home defense ammo in the mag. And just for giggles I wasable to cram the 15th round in

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it a good idea to keep a mag fully loaded 24-7 , it doesn't affect the spring.?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not sure if having a fully loaded magazine will wear out the spring faster but a new magazine is far cheaper than your life. I have my magazines loaded at all times.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
No, it doesn't.

I had four 1911 magazines that stayed fully loaded for 4 years and they worked fine.

They are still 100% reliable.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
More wear and tear is placed on the spring by shooting it at the range than leaving them loaded. Leaving them loaded will relax the spring, as fresh cut unused springs are always extra tight. You can also take a dowel rod or a long screwdriver and work the follower up and down about 50 times, it will loosen them up a bit by simulating loading and unloading like you're shooting. After that you should be able to get that 15th in there, if not, just leave it loaded for a few days and then give it a shot.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dude, after you're finished shooting, load 14 rounds in you mag and leave em for a week or two; they will break in. :D

A couple of my 10 round .45 ACP PT145 magazines would only hold 9 rounds when brand new.

After a week of staying loaded with 9, they all loaded 10 just fine without breaking any thumbs. ;)

I agree, my 12 round mags would only accept 11 rounds until I left them loaded with 11 for about a week, now I get 12 in.
I may still get a Uplula though, using the Taurus loader just tears my thumb up, no matter how many I inset.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So I take it those are far better than the factory speed loader the pistol comes with?
The factory one that came with my 24/7 G2 40cal broke on the first time at the range, I ordered an UpLula after consulting this forum. It works like a champ. It's what should be included instead of the pos that came withe my gun.
BTW: Taurusarmed folks, thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Upula loaders are the best.

+1 on the leave them loaded advice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
More wear and tear is placed on the spring by shooting it at the range than leaving them loaded. Leaving them loaded will relax the spring, as fresh cut unused springs are always extra tight. You can also take a dowel rod or a long screwdriver and work the follower up and down about 50 times, it will loosen them up a bit by simulating loading and unloading like you're shooting. After that you should be able to get that 15th in there, if not, just leave it loaded for a few days and then give it a shot.
I was able to finally load both my mags with the full 15 rounds, ;)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have had mine for almost a year and have almost 3000 rounds through it but the mags that came with it still only hold 14 if I cram the fifteenth one in it won't cycle the slide gets stuck and won't go into battery because of how tight the rounds are holding in the mag. With 14 they work great I bought another mag that was from one of the first models and it holds all 15 no problem and cycles great so thats the one I keep in the gun for carry so I have 15+1. Either way 14+1 or 15+1 still allot of fire power and if I need all of either and the spare mag I carry I am in trouble unless I can get to my long guns. Oh and my back up 7+1 and spare mag of 7. So a total of 45 or 46 rounds in my weapons and on my person and pray I never need them and if I do hope not to need them all.

Reactions: bre346

·
Administrator
17,670 Posts
Is it a good idea to keep a mag fully loaded 24-7
Won't hurt it. I keep several Magazines loaded at all times.

it doesn't affect the spring.?
Generally, it does not affect the Spring except to wear the Spring in. Magazine Springs can be worn out by the feed cycling and I have done it! Not on 24/7's yet, but a couple of my other Pistols I shoot extensively for USPSA/IPSC Matches have gotten new/fresh Wolff Magazine Springs in their Magazines.

Reactions: Armedpatriot

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My carry is full and its spare mag is full, all the time.

Reactions: Armedpatriot
1 - 20 of 23 Posts