Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good stuff, I'm still drooling in fact. Half the class made Beef Sauté - Sauce Champignon with beef tenderloin (which means basically a seared piece of tender beef and mushroom pan gravy) and the other half made the same recipe but with a venison tenderloin. I was in the half that used the venison altho everyone had to taste it, no matter what. Sides of roasted garlic mashed potatoes and green beans almondine.

I do believe I'm sending this recipe in to the cookbook.

Sarge

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Good stuff, I'm still drooling in fact. Half the class made Beef Sauté - Sauce Champignon with beef tenderloin (which means basically a seared piece of tender beef and mushroom pan gravy) and the other half made the same recipe but with a venison tenderloin. I was in the half that used the venison altho everyone had to taste it, no matter what. Sides of roasted garlic mashed potatoes and green beans almondine.

I do believe I'm sending this recipe in to the cookbook.

Sarge
WOW , Sounds good !

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I'm now hungry again! Hope it tasted as good as you decribed it.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was incredible. The only real difference between the beef and venison (other than flavor) was the venison can contain a little less fat and you may have to work around that. Oh and if you use wild venison, it is not recommended you cook it less than well done (165*). Ours was farm raised so mine was med rare. I cut it with a plastic spoon.

Sarge

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I just ate and now I'm hungry again!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds very good. I plan on cooking an Italian venison roast this weekend. You are right tho, you can't cook wild venison well done, it'll be like cardboard.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
I imagine with farm raised Venison, the males are neutered and corn fed. Also, they are cleaned and butchered properly, and probably aged. In Colorado on some ranches, the ranchers will rope and castrate young male Elk.

It is amazing how great animals that are treated as domestically raised cattle can be so tasty and tender. Deer, Elk and Bison. Much healthier to eat also. Cattle are just much more profitable and put on weight more efficiently and quicker.

For those who can afford the alternative meats, they are great.

I imagine that by the time you figure in the cost of a hunting lease, it would be much less expensive to purchase farm raised alternative meats....but then you wouldn't get to enjoy pulling the trigger from 75 yards in front of a feeder! :)

Face it folks....most hunting is no longer hunting....just shooting. Sure, you still get to drink whiskey at deer camp and sit in front of a fire and sleep in bunks or sleeping bags with thick air mattresses, but hunting isn't what it was 30 years ago....maybe 40 years ago.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You are right Jake, outfitters and greed have taken over. No longer are you able to knock on a farmers door and ask permission. They just hold out their hand and if it isn't enough, you're not hunting. I am fortunate enough my uncle has some farmland for the time being. He just talked over the holidays of possibly selling and moving closer to his kids. Hope he doesn't, but I understand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts