Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i had been eyeing a 651 .357 at the local range and i decided to get it today. I didnt get to test fire it since i had to work but i did test fire the 650 they had to rent before i bougt it. I think i will be really pleased with this gun now i just have to wait till next weekend to get back to the range.

I will try and borrow a digital camera to get some pictures of it up tomorow.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've got a 650 in my pocket as I type this. I don't think you'll have any issues.

I had the 650 out for a while yesterday. It ran fine but I learned that I need to work on shooting the full power stuff more. Or I have to remember to swap the grips before a longer session with the full power loads.

FYI, its currently loaded with Winchester 110gr JHP. Medium velocity but better effects on the target than 38 +P.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I really need to start buy a few Taurus revolvers to be more well rounded in my Taurus knowledge. I've shoot them just haven't really owned many. Always kind of leaned towards the semi-autos, have to change that sometime soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steelheart for pocket carry is there a holster you suggest or do you just toss it in your pocket? Is there a reson you go with the 110gr over say the larger 158gr for personal protection?

Draeger I went with the revolver this time for the simple reason of reliability no worrys about FTF or FTE. Plus shooting a few .357 rounds is always fun ;D

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I usually use an Uncle Mikes Pocket Holster. They're cheap and they work. Now I'm not saying that a nice pocket holster (leather or some other material) isn't a better holster, just that they work.

I picked the Win. 110gr as it is a medium velocity load that I can find locally. I intend on getting all the medium velocity loads that I can find or order and seeing which one I like best but that will probably be this winter sometime.

I'm looking at the medium velocity loads not only for reduced recoil but for the faster follow up shots that may be required if the situation degrades to the point of a weapon being drawn. Yes, a full power load might solve the issue faster but I don't expect the proverbial one shot stop (which is/was a unit of measure and not a tactical philosophy). I know that I can upgrade the grips and the recoil ceases to be an issue but then the gun doesn't fit as well in a pocket.

Now, if I was going hiking somewhere that I might run into something with fur, claws and an unpleasant disposition I'd upgrade to a full power load, possibly a 158gr SP with a normal social load in a speedloader.

Steelheart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts