Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will be getting my M85 soon, and I'd like to go hammerless.
I understand that finding the factory bobbed hammer is next to impossible, so I guess I'll have to trim mine myself. It won't be as slick looking, but I can do a professional looking job.
Do I need to buy one from the exact same model (ie stainless vs blue, ul vs std)? or ar all recent .38's the same hammer?
If I buy one pre-lock will it work?
Basically what do I need to know when looking around for one to chop? I don't want to take the hammer out and somehow screw it up and not have my CCW.
Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
There are two different hammers out there for the Taurus revolvers. You will have to get the one with the integral safety lock to be sure that it works with the new version trigger return spring and transfer bar set up. Hammer Assembly, Latest Style, Post 1999, Milled w/Integral Safety Provided your Taurus 85 was made after 1999.

If you install a different hammer than what came with your gun, you have a couple options to think about.

1. If you leave the single action cocking notch, it will likely have to be matched to your existing trigger.

2. Or, you could grind off the single action cocking notch which would make the new hammer a true double action only revolver. Which, by the way, most people recommend if you bob the hammer spur.

Here are a couple pics showing the single action notch on the hammer.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Here's a photo from another website that shows the old style trigger in a Rossi, which is about the same as an older Taurus. Its trigger return spring guide, and other mechanisms are different than the later made Taurus revolvers. There might be a pre-safety lock hammer that would work for your 85, but you would have to see it in person first to be sure.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/papajohn428/How-To Stuff/IMG_3300.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
True DAO is what I'm looking for. I see no reason to have the phantom ability of SA. Thank you very much for your help and the pics. That explains it very well.
My 85 will most likely be brand spankin' new, so there will be no question about that. I should be able to get it before the end of the month.
I did find this while I was looking for ideas. Taurus Revolver Parts, Small Frame, Stainless : Small Pistol Parts at GunBroker.com But I don't know if the hammer has the TSS built into it. It seems to be perfect except for not knowing that fact, but the auction will be over before I get paid.:'(
-EDIT-
NVM. I see the differences now that I have the pics you showed, Thanks alot!

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
I'm little confused...if you're gonna get a "brand new" one, why not just get a factory bobbed model or their CIA line?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't like the way the CIA sits in my hand with the taller rear end above the grip, and I'm not counting on being able to find a bobbed one localy. If I do I'll go that way and just have some extra knowledge.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that link. I'm still lookin around. I hope to find hammerless in all steel, but I doubt I'll find it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts