Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get the trigger pull reduced on my "muscleman" M850, .38 Special hammerless revolver. From my immediate investigation (of calling various local gunsmiths and gunshops), it would seem that this revolver is a pariah when inquiring about trigger pull adjustment. They all say it can't be done by design at Taurus and they have found that any attempt to try, results in insufficient tension to fire the gun thereafter. I have looked online and there does not seem to be any aftermarket spring kits available either. I have found, quite readily, numerous references by others alluding to the same problem but no solutions. Am I just screwed?

·
8,823 Posts
First welcome to the best forum on the web from Texas. Aftermarket trigger springs are rare for Taurus guns. However I would first buy some snap caps and do about 500 dry fires maybe even more to wear in the hammer/sear surfaces. If still too hard and you know how to work on the gun – try polishing internal frame surfaces – hammer sear (lightly) hammer sides , really look for anywhere metal on metal wear is occurring. Clean up and light lube. My Judge had a heavy trigger after several hundred snap cap fires and internal polishing it is down to about 7-8 pounds.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Welcome to the forum from West Texas. It would help to know what weight the trigger pull is now, if it is around 7 or 8 lbs. it is probably in spec.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Take a look at the Wolf Gunsprings site: Springs for TAURUS Revolvers There may be some lower powered spring(s) for your gun. I used one of their kits on my M605 and liked it a lot. I DID notice a problem with light primer-strikes so I went back to the original hammer spring but left the trigger rebound spring in place. Trigger is still lighter and action is a bit smoother but I hopefully won't have (going to test it out in about an hour) the light strikes anymore.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
The trigger pull does seem to be an issue for Taurus DAO-type revolvers. I had an 851 with the heaviest trigger pull I have ever felt, and it never really smoothed out or lightened. I wound up trading it for a rifle.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks RevFan. I think I am going to take SilverString's advice 1st and see if that makes a difference. I was already giving consideration to your advice and it is definitely on my radar. I am resistant to the idea simply because I really like this rev and it does have that perfect feel. I'll see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Silverstring for the sound advice. I will take it and see if it makes a difference. I hope so as I really like this revolver and don't want to trade it in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts