Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow forum members. I am new to this forum and to Taurus revolvers. My friend just gave me an M85 it is stainless, I like the gun so far. I was wondering are there any good gun smiths that will work on this revolver? I would like a trigger job, polish the cylinders, etc. Would Taurus consider any of this as voiding the warrenty? Is there any mods that anyone suggests? Thank you for your help!
Snafu1

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Welcome, I dunno about voiding the warrenty but if it were me I would prolly ask around for a local gunsmith that is reputable. A trigger job isn't to hard, and you can almost do one yourself by getting some snap caps loading them with those and just sit and watch a movie and pull the trigger a bunch of times, most call it a thousand round trigger job. I would try that, it's about free... then see how you like the trigger then before having someone do work on it. I think you'll find it'll smooth up a whole bunch and you might decide to leave it alone, it does alot for a trigger to just get the parts moving around inside the gun. Might try removing the side plate on it, blasting it out with some kind of cleaner like birthwood casey gun scrubber and apply some light oil in there before ya try it to... alot of grittyness can be from the factory having shavings in there and that can help out alot.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas and Merry Christmas! Glad to have you!!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome and enjoy your M85

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My very first Taurus acquisition was a M85 back in 1991.

My 87-year-old father now carries it as a CCW.

Can't help you with your questions, but I can welcome you to the forum!:wave:

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! My M85 has a nice trigger pull. Not as smooth as the 1911s or SR9c, but easy even in DA. I do occasionally use snap caps and work it some and then put a tiny drop of good oil in it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I had a M85 and prior to knowing how revolvers functioned I had a gunsmith do a trigger job. After learning more about how the Taurus M85 is put together I figured out all the gunsmith did was slightly modify the springs and charged me $50 for it. The internal parts are pretty straight forwards and other than maybe polishing some of the parts, good old wear a tear will smooth them out and polish them for you just fine. If your revolver shoots well, no timing issues, no binding or rubbing, good lock up, leave it be. Keep it clean. Get some snap caps and dry fire it obsessively. Make sure to use snap caps or you will peen out the breach face. If Taurus knows there was a trigger job done it will void the warranty, however most gunsmiths can't do to much for them anyway.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I picked up a used 85 a few ears ago. The trigger was awful! Felt like pulling your finger through gravel. The pistol was 15 years old and had not seen much use, was truly owned by a little old lady who wanted something for her nightstand.
I removed the sideplate and discovered she had never cleaned the packing grease out of it. I took it apart, cleaned the dried up grease out of it, gave it a couple drops of light oil and viola', smooth as glass trigger pull! I had the hammer bobbed by my local gunsmith and I asked him about improving the trigger. He told me he has people pay him to make their triggers as good as mine already was.
I agree with the dry-firing advice. Mine just keeps getting better with use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for the welcome! I think I will take the advice given, clean and snap cap fire while I watch tv. Thank you all and Happy Ho;idays!
Snafu1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts