Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I shoot +P Ammo in my M85 Ultra Lite? Do I need to? This is my EDC. What is the preferred ammo for this little snub? Thanks

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
When was your M85 made? If it was manufactured after the mid 90's it is probably rated for +P ammunition however there is not a lot more bang for the buck than standard pressure ammo today. If you are really interested in shooting +P loads, the best way is to check your serial number on the Taurus website or you can call Taurus customer service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You for the quick replies. Called Taurus (305-624-1115) and they said my M85 was manufactured in May of 99 and is approved for +P ammo.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Welcome to TA, you'll definitely enjoy yourself here. As far as +P goes, you should be fine as .38 Spl +P is simply what they used to load them to 20 years ago. Standard loads have lower pressures because you don't need to blow back to cycle a slide back and forth as with a semi-auto. So as such, they made the mythical +P loads. Now shooting it in an Ultralight could be a painful event as the mass of the gun won't be absorbing very much of the force, so it will be directed right back on your hands and wrists.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Can I shoot +P Ammo in my M85 Ultra Lite? Do I need to? This is my EDC. What is the preferred ammo for this little snub? Thanks
I carry the same gun. My load of choice for self defense is..........
Buffalo Bore® Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy 38 Special 158gr LSWCHC

I practice with the following two standard pressure loads; the same loads Taurus® uses to regulate the sights to Point of Aim (POA)..........
Magtech® 38SPL 158gr SJHP #38E
Magtech® 38SPL 158 Grain FMJFP #38P

As you have already found out your gun is +P capable. Just because it is however, doesn't necessarily mean it is the best load to use in an Ultra-Lite revolver. IME, standard pressure ammunition is a lot easier to control and be accurate with. A hit with a standard pressure round beats all the misses with a +P round.

I'm David and I approved this message.
:D

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.:cool:

+P is highly overated; if you see me carrying it, it's because it was "On Sale" some place.

I've never felt "undergunned" with standard pressure .38 spl. ammo; that's all my agency issued the first 20 years "on the job" and we never lost a gunfight.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I use a non +p round that approaches +p ballistics w/o the recoil. Give Federal's 110 gr. Hyrda-shok a try and see what you think....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just got my 85 UL Mon and will be going to the ranger on Fri and going to try Federal 110gr, Speer Lawman 153gr and Winchester PDX 130gr and see which one I like best. Also put the 3 finger grips on it from my 94 for testing! Ordered another from Taurus Will let ya know what I thought after testing.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
In 1996, I was attracted to the 85UL BECAUSE it was +P rated in an alloy frame, which at the time was not common. I carry 158 +P JHPs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts