Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a M85 CHULT .38 and was wondering what type of loads for Lead bullets you guys use. Since I haven't shot the gun yet, in fact, never shot anything that small, am not sure what to expect or where to begin. What I have on hand is Unique and 2400 powder. 115 gr RNFP, 158 gr RNFP and SWC lead bullets along with some 125 and 158 gr JHPs.

Am looking for plinking loads on the lite side that the wife can feel confortable getting aquainted with guns with. My shortest barreled hand gun is a 4 inch Ruger GP100 so this is a whole new world for me.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I recently got one for the wife well was looking for wwb 130gr at wally world believ it or not they were out i then purchased the remington brand wasnt bad hardly any recoil not snappy at all rather pleasant to shoot she had no problems.

For defence round using federals 110 low recoil JHPs she fired a few of those again very nice. hope this helps

·
Registered
384 Posts
I REALLY like 148gr DEWC for plinking in .38 special but I use Bullseye or N340. I have loaded up 158gr SWC in .38specials using 3.3gr of Bullseye to launch the bullet. Unique is a very versitile powder and I'm sure Alliant has several recipes worth looking at. I've also use 2400 but only in magnum loads so not sure how it would work in a .38. Attached is an interesting site that may be worth looking at.

http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/d...&Weight=158&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Use the unique, not the 2400. 2400 is not efficient except at magnum pressures. It's even dirtier than Unique and will leave a lot of unburnt powder that can get under the extractor star at .38 pressure levels. I load 5.0 grain unique behind a 158 SWC, but it's mildly plus P and not pleasant in the little UL. Try the 115 cast or 125 grain bullet with a light charge of Unique. It will have less recoil. Only problem I can see with that load is that my gun is regulated for 158 heavy loads and lighter loads hit low for me. It's okay, though, at 7 yards. I have an elevation wire in a custom dove tailed front sight I had installed on my 85UL which I use for good accuracy with light 105 grain cast loads for practice or for long range shooting with the heavier loads. This set up works fantastic for me. It's a technique Elmer Keith used for long range shooting with handguns. I stole the idea.

I have a hot 2400 +P load for the .38 that doesn't leave a lot of powder residue, but it's way hot, not what your wife would like. It tosses a fireball, not of magnum qualities, but it's a good fireball and it kicks a bit.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
My fav light load is 2.7 grains Bullseye and a 148 wadcutter. Accurate, soft shooting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Am going to the kids place this afternoon so will get a chance to shoot the UL. Have some bulk factory ammo I will try along with samples loads using your recomendations. To start I think I will stick with the 158 gr LSWCs with a starting load of 3.7 Unique and work up. D

Don't know why I even mentioned 2400. In my mind the only thing it is good for is fire breathing 44 mag loads.

Also have a new Marlin 45/70 to try out

·
Registered
384 Posts
NativeTexan said:
My fav light load is 2.7 grains Bullseye and a 148 wadcutter. Accurate, soft shooting.
A big plus one! I load the same using 2.8gr of the Bull. This is my favorite target load. Super mild, very accurate at closer ranges and cheap to make. What could be better?

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
I'm thinking 4-4.5 grains Unique with a 158 will be a nice standard pressure load.5.0 crossed into +P territory.

·
Registered
384 Posts
NativeTexan said:
I'm thinking 4-4.5 grains Unique with a 158 will be a nice standard pressure load.5.0 crossed into +P territory.
I haven't tried 158gr in a .38 load yet. I've been meaning to but haven't taken the time yet to develope a load. Unique is not on my bench yet, but might have to give it a try sometime. I do shoot a LSWC in 158gr in .357 loaded in front of 4.6gr of N340. It's pretty mild and moderately accurate but not as much as the 148/2.8 bull/.38 special load.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Unique is a very versatile load for low pressure rounds like .38 special, .45 colt, etc. I load it in hot +P for 9x19 and .45 ACP, light .45 colt loads. Another versatile and similar powder is Universal Clays, very similar to Unique.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts