Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I hope everyone can lend some help here. I have a new M85 SS UL with Hogue Monogrips on it. I bought a HKS 36-A speedloader and I'm having some problems with it.
The speeloader will not drop all five rounds at the same time. Try after try, it will drop 2-3 at the same time while the remaining ones hang up. With some jiggleing the remainder drops. It's almost as if the cartridges are splaying out when I insert them into the cylinder.
I've loaded the speedloader many times and held it over a pillow and it releases the ammo fine. I had a friend try it with one of his J Frames and it worked flawlessly, over and over.
FYI, I've tried it with the factory boot grips, still the same result. I did have a few successful loads with the grips removed. Just a few though, 2-3 times out of 12-15 trys.
What gives here? Any ideas? What's everyones thoughts on the Safariland Comp I loaders? Any luck using them with a M85?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
My Safariland speedloader works fine with my M85 and my M651 (haven't used it as much with this one). Sometimes you have to rotate the cylinder a little to get them all to line up.

I went to the Safariland as I feel they are (by design) one less thing to worry about if I ever have to use the gun for real. But I do have 1 HKS around for my M65 that I would load with an alternate load (the meanest penetrator load I can find for attackers with fangs, claws and fur) for woods use. I'll be getting an HKS for my small frames at some point.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steelheart...which model of the Safariland speedloader do you use. I have a M650 and I would like to try out one of these loaders.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
I've got a couple of HKSs, No. 36, haven't found them to be problematic. I always jiggle 'em in, though, just part of the deal.

I had a Safariland comp one. It lasted about 9 months before it broke, carried in a pocket. Bad part was I didn't know it was broke until I tried it one day in my bedroom and it wouldn't dump. I had to use a shop hammer to get my ammo out of it, was the end of the speedloader. I've never had a HKS fail. I cannot recommend the comp ones. They're cheap constructed plastic and way overly complicated in design. KISS is a good motto IMHO. I won't buy another Safariland.

Now days, I just carry Bianchi speed strips. They work for my 85 and my 66 if I'm carrying it primary to the 85. I load 'em up with .38 +P, will work in either gun. They may not be favored by Bianchi Cup champions, but for everyday carry, they're simple and durable and fast snough IMHO, especially if you have a NY reload or two. I don't figure if I ever do have to defend myself that firepower will be a problem even with a 5 shot revolver. One or two well placed shots should stop the problem.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
the HKS 36A works just fine on my 851UL. NOw, I have the smaller factory grips on mine (I pocket carry it), so clearance is not a problem. But I've never had a problem with the HKS releasing the shells.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts