Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had two M85 series revolvers, one a standard double action and one a DAO, would it be possible to swap the guts out and turn the DAO into a DA/SA, and the DA/SA into a DAO? Is it likely to be as simple as swapping parts, or more likely that it would require fitting? I don't think Taurus will do this for me. I haven't asked, but I don't think they do anything more than straight repairs.

I was thinking of turning my M380 into a DA/SA. I wouldn't mind having a standard M85 as a DAO in .38 spl. I believe all the internal parts are the same from talking to CS.

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
If you had two M85 series revolvers, one a standard double action and one a DAO, would it be possible to swap the guts out and turn the DAO into a DA/SA, and the DA/SA into a DAO? Is it likely to be as simple as swapping parts, or more likely that it would require fitting? I don't think Taurus will do this for me. I haven't asked, but I don't think they do anything more than straight repairs.

I was thinking of turning my M380 into a DA/SA. I wouldn't mind having a standard M85 as a DAO in .38 spl. I believe all the internal parts are the same from talking to CS.
I inquired about this same issue from Taurus® Customer Service about a month ago as I wanted to convert my Mdl 85SS2UL to DAO. (All you need to do is swap hammers). Taurus® CS WOULD NOT sell me the DAO hammer. Instead they wanted me to send my gun in ($60.00 via FedEx®), pay $35.00 for the new hammer, and $50.00 labor charge. Lastly they would keep my old hammer! That's a $145.00 PITA! I'm going to find one elsewhere or have a gunsmith friend of mine order the part for me.

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I inquired about this same issue from Taurus® Customer Service about a month ago as I wanted to convert my Mdl 85SS2UL to DAO. (All you need to do is swap hammers). Taurus® CS would not sell me the DAO hammer. Instead they wanted me to send my gun in ($60.00 via FedEx®), pay $25.00 for the new hammer, and $50.00 labor charge. Lastly they would keep my old hammer! That's a $135.00 PITA! I'm going to find one elsewhere or have a gunsmith friend of mine order the part for me.
Thanks! They'd probably charge me $50 for each gun, plus the FedEx back and forth, though I do have an FFL I could send it through, they can ship cheaper. Do you think if I bought an 85 I could just swap hammers?

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
I seriously doubt two fairly new model 85 format revolvers would require the "hand fitting" expertise of a gunsmith.

With a modicum of mechanical knowledge and a little patience the parts swap shouldn't be too difficult.

But that's just my opinion and opinions are like certain body orifaces, we all have at least one...;)

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I seriously doubt two fairly new model 85 format revolvers would require the "hand fitting" expertise of a gunsmith.

With a modicum of mechanical knowledge and a little patience the parts swap shouldn't be too difficult.

But that's just my opinion and opinions are like certain body orifaces, we all have at least one...;)

Thanks, I value your opinion. I may just give it a try. I'll have to get an 85 first though......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts