Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'am gunshops, fairly new to the sight. I own and carry the 617ss2, love it. My question however, is about the m85. I saw one recently at a shop, the barrel was stamped 38 special only, but on the Taurus site it says it can shoot 38plus p. Can someone help with this? Thank you. Gunshops.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Trust in the Taurus web site, grasshopper!:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
The standard 38 special round operates at a pressure of 17,000 psi so those guns are built to handle that pressure. There is a technical standard called SAMMI that sets this pressure .
A 38 special +P is the same size round just more powerful. It normally operates at or just over 20,000 psi, because there is no industrial standard that defines the pressure of a +P 38 special.

A +P 38 special gun must me built stronger to handle the increased pressure, often these guns are built to handle about 22-23,000psi to insure they can handle whatever pressure the round is .

You can fire the low pressure 38 special round in a +P gun, it's plenty strong enough. But fire a the high pressure 38 special +P round in a standard 38 special gun, you may get lucky and your gun will just break or wear out quickly....If you're unlucky, it will EXPLODE in your hands. Taurus clearly labels the M85 38special ammo only, because I believe they want to reduce their liability. There website is there to sell firearms and is not always up to date. What does the instruction manual say?

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
My Model 85 is a stainless "concealed hammer" that I purchased new in 1993. As far as I know, the only model 85 that Taurus has produced that specifically stated .38 SPL only (no +P) is the 2007 Model 85 with the magnesium cylinder. This was a one year only model 85. Taurus also produced several other model 85s in 2007 (blued & stainless & ultra-lite titanium) that were stamped 38+P on the barrel.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi everyone, I'am gunshops, fairly new to the sight. I own and carry the 617ss2, love it. My question however, is about the m85. I saw one recently at a shop, the barrel was stamped 38 special only, but on the Taurus site it says it can shoot 38plus p. Can someone help with this? Thank you. Gunshops.
Current Taurus .38 Specials are all rated for +P.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
As others have said it all depends on the model/age of the revolver, the M85 is a decent size product family.

In my personal experience: My M85UL is rated at +P according to Taurus via verbal and the manual, but it just says ".38 spl" on the barrel.

That said, I have only shot a few +Ps out of it for fun. I shoot and carry standard pressure 158 grain rounds.

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Super Moderator
35,078 Posts
I'm thinkin' the View was not +P rated. I bought my 85 Ultralite in 1996 BECAUSE it was one of the first alloy frame guns, lightweight, that was +P rated.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
I'm thinkin' the View was not +P rated. I bought my 85 Ultralite in 1996 BECAUSE it was one of the first alloy frame guns, lightweight, that was +P rated.
Even if the view is +P rated (and I'm not saying it is or isn't), the shooter should ask themselves; are their hands +P rated for the view?! :D :D :D

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
35,078 Posts
Yeah...ouch. :D I fired a hot .357 in a 12 ounce 340PD once....key word here is ONCE. :D The view is lighter and that grip does not look conducive to comfort with heavy loads in .38.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My older M85, circa 1989, is not rated for +P, however I would not be afraid to shoot the +P in it, just not a steady diet of it.

Personally, I think the +P is over rated for a short barreled wheel gun.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Even if the view is +P rated (and I'm not saying it is or isn't), the shooter should ask themselves; are their hands +P rated for the view?! :D :D :D
I thought the View was 38 Spl only...I purchased a Non View ....and purchased some 110gr Horndy non +p just for my little gun....

But I could never see putting +p through a 10 oz revolver ....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts