Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new, I mean my wife's new, Taurus M85 Protector Poly. This is a nice little gun, very light and feels great in the hand! I purchased a regular M85 off an on-line auction but the gun they advertised was spoken for...so I got this little dandy instead! The sale price was $265 and that included the shipping charge! With this being a new gun, I think I got a steal that could not be passed! Here are the specs from Taurus:

Model: Protector Poly
Caliber: .38 SPL +P
# of Shots: 5
Barrel: 1.875"
Tot. length: 6.32"
Weight: 16oz (I weighed it in at 15.23oz on my reloading digital scale!)
Fixed front & rear sights, 2 rubber grips (large & small), and Transfer Bar Taurus Security System
Matte Blue finish

Enjoy the pics below and let me know what you think! Hopefully I will be able to get it out to the range with the wife and see what it can do fairly soon...range report will follow!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Nice Heater.

Wow, once I think I know as much about Taurus as there is I see a gun that is new to me.

I would LOVE to see this in Duo-Tone satin SS hardware.

Reactions: blackpanzer

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice looking gun. Ii it's anything like the LCR I had it's going to be a bit on the snappy side with the +p ammo.
Not sure how much of the +P ammo will go down the barrel of this gun. It will primarily be shot by my wife. I plan on reloading her practice rounds but will get her comfortable with store-bought defensive rounds.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hmmm......first one of these I've seen. I don't care for poly guns myself (just a personal preference, that's all)....but I do have to say that the Taurus version looks better to my eye than the ones I've seen from the other companies (such as the Ruger). That IS a good looking gun. I hope it will also shoot well. It is awfully light, so I'd recommend fairly soft loads for it, especially for practice.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My thoughts exactly!! I will be lightening the load once I start reloading for this gun. I have 100 rounds of Winchester 135 grain target loads to fire off first!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Took my Protector Poly to the range again tonight. I am having to shoot with my off hand while I recover from surgery to my strong hand, so I was not particularly accurate, but the pistol ran perfectly with medium hand loads and some Hornady XTP defense ammo - 65 rounds total. I was talking to a lady who had her LCR and the Poly allows a higher grip behind the trigger -- that seems to make the Poly much softer shooting. It does torque a bit but with minimal muzzle flip. I really like the fiber optic front sight -- it gives me a much better sight picture than the other lightweight snubbies I had previously, including an LCR, S&W 637 Airweight and M85. Compared to the Airweight, the trigger is a little stiffer, but still smooth.

Out of sympathy, one of my friends shot the Poly left-handed (one-handed), and was basically shooting a baseball size pattern at 7 yds. I purchased the gun to carry because I needed one-hand operation, light weight, accuracy, controllability and moderate recoil. After having the pistol to the range a couple of times now, I am satisfied that I made a very good choice, and the pistol has exceeded my expectations. The only issue I have is that because of the width of the frame, it is hard to find holsters that fit. I found a paddle holter that works, but I really need an IWB.

Good luck with your Poly -- I hope it works for you as well as mine works for me!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Charlie, that is great to hear about your gun experience thus far. I hope to get the gun and my wife out to the range tomorrow.

BTW, i hope your recovery is speedy and problem free!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Charlie, that is great to hear about your gun experience thus far. I hope to get the gun and my wife out to the range tomorrow.

BTW, i hope your recovery is speedy and problem free!
Enjoy your trip to the range! And thanks for the kind wishes. I am learning that I need a lot more weak-hand practice!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I did some research on the M85UL & the M85 Polly and the Polly is heavier at 18.2 ounces as opposed to the 15.7 ounces with the UL.

Looks like a great gun and if I didn't have 2 M85ULs I probably buy 1 or 2 or even 3 as I'm a sucker for .38 Spec snubby 5 shot wheel guns.

Reactions: Si_Newton

·
Registered
140 Posts
That is probably true - it does feel a little more substantial than the last Airweight I had. But that helps dampen the recoil and contributes to the controllability of the Poly.

I did find a LH IWB holster this evening, so now I am good to go - it is a Galco Stow-N-Go model STO159. The Poly frame is quite a bit wider than a regular M85 or J-frame or even an LCR, but it fits decently in the Galco. I hope this information is useful to some of the other new Poly fans.

When my strong arm is healed, I'll have a custom holster made by one of the local guys. I think this gun is a keeper.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did some research on the M85UL & the M85 Polly and the Polly is heavier at 18.2 ounces as opposed to the 15.7 ounces with the UL.

Looks like a great gun and if I didn't have 2 M85ULs I probably buy 1 or 2 or even 3 as I'm a sucker for .38 Spec snubby 5 shot wheel guns.
Hey Armd...check the photos. I weighed my new Poly and it came in at 15.27oz...not the 18.2 you listed above. I checked it several times and got the same reading every time!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Just got my new, I mean my wife's new, Taurus M85 Protector Poly. This is a nice little gun, very light and feels great in the hand! I purchased a regular M85 off an on-line auction but the gun they advertised was spoken for...so I got this little dandy instead! The sale price was $265 and that included the shipping charge! With this being a new gun, I think I got a steal that could not be passed! Here are the specs from Taurus:

Model: Protector Poly
Caliber: .38 SPL +P
# of Shots: 5
Barrel: 1.875"
Tot. length: 6.32"
Weight: 16oz (I weighed it in at 15.23oz on my reloading digital scale!)
Fixed front & rear sights, 2 rubber grips (large & small), and Transfer Bar Taurus Security System
Matte Blue finish

Enjoy the pics below and let me know what you think! Hopefully I will be able to get it out to the range with the wife and see what it can do fairly soon...range report will follow!!
Sir glad to hear and congrats on the Poly. A few months ago I had placed an order with the LGS for the same gun,it had come in I was excited to see and feel this gun. Couldnt believe how it felt in the hand and what a natural pointer it was.Then I started to run the action opening and closing the cylinder then it happend the cylinder would lock up couldnt pull the trigger. So I thought I would wait a while then look at them again ended up with a 605 ss that i really like, guess it is time to look at them again.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Looks like Taurus decided to go with more practical grips. The ones I saw in early photos of the poly protector where kinda nice but looked like they'd be slick (as in slippery).

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
$265.00 for that revolver was a fantastic deal. ;)

Congrats to your wife!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like Taurus decided to go with more practical grips. The ones I saw in early photos of the poly protector where kinda nice but looked like they'd be slick (as in slippery).
These grips feel great in the hand! We have not had a chance to get it on the range because of unforeseen issues, kids having things pop-up last minute, but hopefully this weekend we will go out and shoot this thing!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.