Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, and my first handgun- Taurus Model 85, manf. in 2003. Purchased on consignment at a shop, appeared to be 98% new, almost no wear.

The only thing amiss that I noticed in examining this gun was some small wear on the star / gear on the extractor. After some extensive searching on this forum, I have found several complaints about QC and metallurgy on this particular part.

I put about 150 rounds through the gun, and the wear does appear to be getting worse. Specifically, there are "notches" now on the star /gear that were not really there (or perhaps not as pronounced) before. The leading edges of the gear appear to also be getting shaved off, making them more rounded.

I have attached a picture, with the notching circled in red, the edge shaving circled in blue.

taurus_m85_star.jpg

I wouldn't call the gear "chewed up" yet; the wear seems to be consistent and regular in pattern, not "gnarled" or "chewed."

Should I be concerned about the wear, is this normal or abnormal?

Possible any other M85 owners out there could post some pics of their extractor star gear for comparison (along with info on the gun)??? Many thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am NO expert. My Taurus 851, which is internally the same as the Mod. 85, shows the same wear pattern. I have put 1650 rounds through my gun, as of now. I don't think that the wear is abnormal. In fact, I think it is entirely normal. The cylinder on the gun rotates in the anti-clockwise direction, when viewed from the rear. So, the wear pattern you are asking about is on the BACKSIDE of the segments of the "star" - NOT the surfaces pushed against by the hand. This indicates to me that the wear is being made by the body of the hand rubbing across these areas - NOT the tip (which is the critical portion). Personally, I am more worried about the condition of the hand itself, than the "star".

It occurs to me that, perhaps, this wear issue will resolve itself. As the (apparent) grooves that are being worn by the body of the hand enlarge, contact with the hand might well cease - then the wear (to the star) will stop, at least in these areas.

As I said, I am NO expert.....so this is conjecture on my part. Perhaps one much more experienced than I will chime in - and put this matter in the proper perspective.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think that the wear is abnormal. In fact, I think it is entirely normal.
Thanks kubelkampf (wow, that's not easy to type...), I think you might be right about this being normal/expected. Perhaps I'm over-thinking this, but being new, I want to understand what is going on. I'm posting the thoughts process here so the next searcher will find some answers :)

Here is another picture with some overlays (you'll have to click for some detail, there are 3 small circles you won't see otherwise):
m85_chamber_view.jpg

So, I tried to line up the photo so the ready-to-fire chamber is on top in red, with the next-in-line chamber in green. From this vantage point, the "hand" will lift on the right-hand side of the gear, starting at the tiny light-blue circle. When it's done with the rotation, it ends up at the tiny red circle. When the "hand" comes back down after the trigger is released, still extended, I believe it's creating the groove in the tiny green circle.

With the gun opened up, if you hold in the center pin and cock the gun, you can see how the hand moves through the entire cycle of a shot. My guess is that, like you said, this wear might be normal and expected. It might also be that they've intentionally made this metal softer than the "hand" so that it wears as needed for a smooth pull (pure conjecture on my part)?

Thanks for your input, maybe we'll hear from "an expert" on the subject. In any case, looking more and more at this, I think it's something to watch, but nothing to worry about until I hear otherwise!

·
Registered
470 Posts
The only thing amiss that I noticed in examining this gun was some small wear on the star / gear on the extractor. After some extensive searching on this forum, I have found several complaints about QC and metallurgy on this particular part.

Should I be concerned about the wear, is this normal or abnormal?
Every single Taurus revolver I have examined has looked pretty rough in the star area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts