Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'am Robert, member name, gunshops. I'am new, nice to meet all of you. Just bought A 617, love the gun, shoots and feels great. Would like to use it as my cc, been trying Uncle mikes Iwb, but had to go with a size to large for it not to be top heavy.I carry appendix style, but have some trouble with A smooth draw, have to double clutch the grip to release it with A proper hold, any advice from anyone ? Thank you, gunshops.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Welcome to TA.net from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
welcome.gif From Northeast Florida!! I hope a M617 guy or gal shows up soon!:)

·
Registered
24,497 Posts
Welcome to tA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Due to the 7-shot cylinder's width, a 617 could be considered slightly large for CC and even more so when carried IWB. I'm planning on using a hammerless 617 as my CCW when I get my Illinois CC permit, but will be probably using a OWB holster of some type.

Perhaps if you research for a different grip it would increase your draw/hold confidence. If researching, the frame size is the same as for the Tracker series and per Taurus it is their "Compact" frame. Note the 617 frame is larger than Taurus' "Small" frame used by the 5-shot framed 85, 605 , etc.

Hope this helps and keep us updated on what you find.

And finally, welcome to these forums!!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Used to have a 617 , got a little heavy for cc as the years gained on me. I used a Don Hume H715M 2-3" IWB and a Hume JIT for a model 66 2 1-2" for OWB liked them both. I now carry a 605 or 941ul

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you djw479 . Your advice is helpful. I will search for some good outside wb holsters that conceal well, maybe galco, or desantis? Nice meeting you.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks ksmoose, interesting info for all 617 owners to know!

I didn't realize holsters for the 66 would work for a 617 since the 66's frame is one size larger, per Taurus site the 66 is a medium frame. If the holsters mentioned retains a 617 tightly enough without a top strap they'd be good options, especially the Hume IWB version.

Used to have a 617 , got a little heavy for cc as the years gained on me. I used a Don Hume H715M 2-3" IWB and a Hume JIT for a model 66 2 1-2" for OWB liked them both. I now carry a 605 or 941ul

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you ksmoose. I might consider a m85 for cc, and use my 617 for home defence. What do you think? Good to meet you. Gunshops.

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
I love my Model 617 but it is a bit heavy and I do not carry it as often as I do my
other concealed carry guns. When I do carry it, it is carried with a IWB holster
and a thick belt (to hold up my pants, that Model 617 has a tendency to pull them
down without one). I've thought about getting a shoulder rig but IWB holsters
are a lot easier to find.

Welcome to Taurus Armed.net! You are going to find some friendly and
knowledgeable people here.

The Model 617 makes a great gun to stowaway in the console of your
car or truck. That is what I do most of the time when I carry it now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you ncfarmer. I might buy a m85 for cc, and use my 617 for home defence. What do you think? Good to meet you. Gunshops.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thank you djw479 . Your advice is helpful. I will search for some good outside wb holsters that conceal well, maybe galco, or desantis? Nice meeting you.
I'll suggest another OWB holster, that for a generic design fits a 617 like a glove. When I purchased my 617 the seller threw in this Hunter Holster model 1100-29, which per Hunter's website is made for S&W Model 10 snubbie. (Hint, hint, maybe there's other S&W Model 10 holsters that could also work with a 617).

This will be my initial carry holster, at least during in the range portion of Illinois' CCW class. I know a strap will slowdown your draw but I strongly dislike the idea of a handgun accidentally falling from CC, so this is my "carry-safely" holster. Its definitely not taci-cool , but since I'm new to CC I want to be ultra-careful until I'm more comfortable with the concepts. And oh, the price was right!

Here's a few pix of this OWB holster, also shows the Crimson Trace LG-375 laser grips I swap between my 617 and a Judge Magnum.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts