Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an M608SS, It's the Stainless, 8-shot, .357 mag revolver with the 6.25" barrel. All sites, including Taurus website, calls for this gun to take the 10-027 scope base so I first ordered one from CTD only to find it did not align properly for mounting. Upon calling Taurus directly, they asked me to send it to them at which time they would send out the proper mount...thinking that an improper mount had been packaged in crrect, 10-027 packaging. When the new base arrived, however, not only was it the exact same design as the first, but it also had a poor finish on it that, while still being stainless, looked like it had been rough sandblasted and left at that. The first one didn't quite match but was far closer to the polished stainless finish of my 608 at least.

So, finish notwithstanding, has anyone else here ever had this problem with their 608? I know I cannot be the only one who has decided to scope this revolver.

Keep in mind...this is not one of their "Tracker" line of revolvers. It is a S&W copy.

I just got off the phone with them again and explained all this and now they want to replace it with a base for a Tracker model in 454. The 10-031. This base has three mount tabs whereas the 10-027 has only two. He says that "two of the three 'should' line up with two of the three vents in (my) gun's vent rib."

Given the past failures...I am hesitant to go through this again without being certain. I am tired of paying return shipping on incorrect bases. I also asked for dimensions so I could compare the mount tab spacing on the base of the 10-031 (454) base against the vent rib spacing on my gun but he said they don't have them.

What to do......frustrated in Ohio!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
20131130_120501.jpg

Hope this posts properly but here's the 10-027 next to my 608 with the included instructions that clearly show a Tracker model with a completely different (guessing it's the 10-031) base. But not sure.

Here, you can also see the big difference in the finish of the base compared to the gun.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
The only one I've ever seen listed for the 608 also fits the 44 with a 6 1/2" barrel is the one you listed. Wish I could be more helpful, but it's the only one I can find. The Tracker series rails seem to be slightly wider than that one, so you may have to see if you can get a couple screws to line up even if you have to drill a couple into the rail yourself. I'll browse through the Weaver site and see if they may make a mount that will fit, but no guarantees.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Montkun but I was looking at that rail and I might have problems considering the information given, which reads as follows;

"Fits:*Taurus Models 44 Magnum Model 607, 608 and 689
Notes:*Fits vent rib guns with non-ported barrels from 6" up to 8 3/8" in length."

On one hand, it shows the 608, but in the "Notes" section, what bothers me is the "non-ported barrels" comment. As far as I know, all 608's have ported barrels straight from the factory.

I'm worried I'll get it and it will not fit for whatever reason and I'll be out even more return shipping.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Well, at least you got one or two! I have had a 10-029 on order since 13 July and have called and every time the response is 4 to 6 weeks. So, I have been practicing with open sights out to 50 yards and will soon be extending that to 75 yards. I have lost my faith in Taurus' CS.:mad:

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just find it strange that Taurus doesn't seem to have a clue as to why their own product doesn't fit their own gun...even when given the serial number. I tried to tell them that I had this picture (above) showing the misalignment but they don't seem interested in seeing it yet they are going to guess that the next part they send "might" or "should" work, but offer no guarantee that it will.

Who does business like that?!?!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just pulled my unmounted-as-of-yet 10-027 out to see if it looks like yours. It does. I'll have to go mate it with my 608 and see if I have the same alignment issue.

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
I ordered and received my 10-027 scope mount for my new Model 608 about 2 weeks ago. It fits perfect. The package label said "10-027", but the SS mount has 3140057-4 stamped on top under the Taurus Logo. While the instruction sheet shows three mounting slots, the mount that I got looks just like yours, (two mounting slots), but it lines up with the barrel rib slots perfectly. I did find that the two bars that go in to the rib to tighten the Allen head screws to are slightly wider that the rib slots on the barrel, about 4,000's of an inch, and will have to be narrowed to slide in. Sorry for the picture quality, Hope this helps.

TAURUS SCOPE MOUNT 002.jpg TAURUS SCOPE MOUNT 003.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Silverblackman and Felix, I am wondering if the machining locations of the vent rib slots has changed over the years. I believe I have an early model 608. My serial number is 409249 and Silverblackman, I have had the same number (3140057-4) stamped into each of the 10-027 mounts they have sent me. I also see that your 608 is a matte stainless finish where mine is polished. At the time I bought mine several years ago, I believe they only offered polished stainless and blue.

Even if the machining has changed, you'd think they would be able to determine the measurements via the serial number that they REQUIRE before answering any questions/filling orders.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Silverblackman, looking closer at the vents on yours and comparing them to mine, I see a big difference in spacing. Looking at the unmachined spacing between the vents shows mine are almose double the length of yours, (they measure .487") but they both seem to start at the same point near the frame end and end at the same point on the muzzle end. Wizardry, I say! BLACK MAGIC playing a trick on my eyes!! Or....maybe not.

Center to center measurement shows mine at 1.438" and the measurement from the start of the first rib to the end of the third is 3.812". Barrel length from frame to muzzle is 5.7" These measurements with my dial caliper.

Now that the gun season is over, I may just send it to Taurus for them to see their handiwork and why it is not matching up. I AM going to try getting them to pay shipping since it is their screw up.

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
Yes, it is quite possible that the barrel vent spacing has changed over the years. The Model 608 in blue first came out in 1995, and in 1998 they started adding the keyed safety lock near the hammer. The photo that I posted was of the 608SS that I purchased a couple of months ago. You will probably have to re-contact Taurus CS and talk to a supervisor, they may be able to look up your serial number and determine the exact date of manufacture. I tried to look up the number (409249) that you posted above, But, it came back as no info available.

The vents on your barrel definitely are different than on the current models.

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
M608SS, do you have any update information on the scope mount situation? Just wondering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts