Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my previously flawless M605 SS revolver out today and loaded it up with Winchester 130gr FMJFP 38spl loads. It would NOT cycle. Cylinder jammed and would not turn, single OR double action. Couldn't see why. Tapped it a couple of times, opened and closed the cylinder and nada.:confused: Then it finally decided to work and shot without issue for about 75 rounds. No weird ammo, just stock Winchester ammo off the shelf. Gun was clean - I'm anal about that so not an issue. First time ever!!! Took it home, looked it over and cleaned it up. Again, nothing. Anybody got any ideas or opinions?

·
Registered
24,534 Posts
Gun gremlins.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I took my previously flawless M605 SS revolver out today and loaded it up with Winchester 130gr FMJFP 38spl loads. It would NOT cycle. Cylinder jammed and would not turn, single OR double action. Couldn't see why. Tapped it a couple of times, opened and closed the cylinder and nada.:confused: Then it finally decided to work and shot without issue for about 75 rounds. No weird ammo, just stock Winchester ammo off the shelf. Gun was clean - I'm anal about that so not an issue. First time ever!!! Took it home, looked it over and cleaned it up. Again, nothing. Anybody got any ideas or opinions?
Well, after the fact is difficult. When you had the cylinder opened did you remove the rounds and see if the gun freed up then? Was it the first shot or was it firing OK that session and then jammed?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, after the fact is difficult. When you had the cylinder opened did you remove the rounds and see if the gun freed up then? Was it the first shot or was it firing OK that session and then jammed?
Got to the range and loaded up. Pulled the trigger and gun didn't fire, cylinder wouldn't turn. Opened and closed a time or two (thinking about it the cylinder seemed somewhat looser - rotation wise - than normal...), tried pulling the hammer back without luck. Took bullets out and all worked fine. Re-loaded and same problem. Removed bullets all OK. Re-loaded and it fired. Kinda made me nuts! Fired 75 rounds without incident. After cleaning at home and it's back to working like always.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
In that you removed the rounds and it worked fine, that tells me there was a problem with one or more of the bullets. Either the bullet was not seating all the way into the cylinder (maybe the OAL was too long) or a primer was not fully seated. I had this happen once with a primer not being seated properly.

·
Registered
36,082 Posts
In that you removed the rounds and it worked fine, that tells me there was a problem with one or more of the bullets. Either the bullet was not seating all the way into the cylinder (maybe the OAL was too long) or a primer was not fully seated. I had this happen once with a primer not being seated properly.
That's IMPOSSIBLE!
after all we know that a revolver never fails to operate correctly!
Don't you read the boards at all???-------------------------

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any possibility the rounds were not sitting flush in cylinder and binding it up? Was there any noticeable difficulty closing the cylinder?
That was my first thought, too, but no. I opened the cylinder and closed it without problem so I discounted that idea. I shot those 5 rounds plus 70 more after that without issue. :confused: Yeah, I know, not very helpful.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd be inclined to agree but after opening and closing the cylinder a couple of times without problem, those 5 rounds fired along with 70 more. I know, this is kinda nuts. :mad:

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I had a .22 lr bullet jamb up my rifle because of a tiny, tiny piece of cardboard lint from the packaging was stuck under the rim.

When I say tiny, I mean about slightly bigger than a grain of salt.

Could be the same thing: Little piece of trash came into the cylinder with a bullet and caused that one bullet to stick out farther.

After dumping those rounds and putting them back in, it could have fallen free at which time the pistol worked fine.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
That's IMPOSSIBLE!
after all we know that a revolver never fails to operate correctly!
Don't you read the boards at all???-------------------------
Only if you say so. :hail:

Reactions: john_bud

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
I'd be inclined to agree but after opening and closing the cylinder a couple of times without problem, those 5 rounds fired along with 70 more. I know, this is kinda nuts. :mad:
It was probably a high primer. On the last go round that round was probably lined up so that it rotated up into the firing line when you cocked the hammer or pulled the trigger. The resulting recoil will usually flatten the primer or push it into the cartridge head enough so that it won't drag on the back plate any further. It used to be that high primers were rare occurrences, but not anymore. They happen all the time and with all brands of ammo both new and reloaded.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a .22 lr bullet jamb up my rifle because of a tiny, tiny piece of cardboard lint from the packaging was stuck under the rim.

When I say tiny, I mean about slightly bigger than a grain of salt.

Could be the same thing: Little piece of trash came into the cylinder with a bullet and caused that one bullet to stick out farther.

After dumping those rounds and putting them back in, it could have fallen free at which time the pistol worked fine.
Possible, I ain't ruling ANYthing out. I did take those 5 rounds out and put 'em back 2-3 times before the gun fired so that is a distinct possibility. 45 more rounds from the same box and then 25 more from another all worked fine. It is perplexing....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was probably a high primer. On the last go round that round was probably lined up so that it rotated up into the firing line when you cocked the hammer or pulled the trigger. The resulting recoil will usually flatten the primer or push it into the cartridge head enough so that it won't drag on the back plate any further. It used to be that high primers were rare occurrences, but not anymore. They happen all the time and with all brands of ammo both new and reloaded.

Now that's got my attention
. Anything could've caused it, I guess, but something ammo-related seems to be at the top of the list, simply because the gun has always worked flawlessly and did so this trip when unloaded. This is as good a possibility as any and something I'll be a bit more aware of in the future. It's really good to be a bit more able to find ammunition these days but still a damn shame that we'd have to scrutinize it for imperfections more than ever before. :mad:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

Now that's got my attention
. Anything could've caused it, I guess, but something ammo-related seems to be at the top of the list, simply because the gun has always worked flawlessly and did so this trip when unloaded. This is as good a possibility as any and something I'll be a bit more aware of in the future. It's really good to be a bit more able to find ammunition these days but still a damn shame that we'd have to scrutinize it for imperfections more than ever before. :mad:
I've had high primer issues with my Ruger. Doesn't take
a lot to stop the gun. Seems if you open and close it a
few times it pushes the primer in enough to let things spin.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Administrator
35,159 Posts
It sure seems like a round in that cylinder was binding it, like AOCM.RET was saying. Especially if it only happened on those particular 5 bullets, and didn't happen before or after.

I hate to tell you this, but you should buy a couple hundred more rounds, and take it back to the range and make sure. ;D Yes, I know, it's such a chore, but you'll be glad you did. ;)

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
A thought: A few days ago at the range, my m94 2 inch was also binding. The ejector rod was unscrewing, thus the cylinder was not properly aligned with the frame. I tightened it and it was fine. It started with the ammo rims blocking, which sounds like your situation.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A thought: A few days ago at the range, my m94 2 inch was also binding. The ejector rod was unscrewing, thus the cylinder was not properly aligned with the frame. I tightened it and it was fine. It started with the ammo rims blocking, which sounds like your situation.
Interesting. I'll check that. Gun is clean and next time out I'll look at the ammo a bit closer. Everything seems tight but .........

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It sure seems like a round in that cylinder was binding it ... I hate to tell you this, but you should buy a couple hundred more rounds, and take it back to the range and make sure. ;D Yes, I know, it's such a chore, but you'll be glad you did. ;)
I have about 250 rounds waiting for my grand dude to get outta school for Christmas. I bought the box o' 250 for him so we'll see in short order when I take him out shootin' with me. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts