Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my late Xmas today from the Ms. Waited until the gun show and got me a M605 ss 2" 357 mag. Anyone own one? got any tips on them ? I know I got 3 shorties but I love 357 and didn't have one and from what I've seen I stole it. Love the way it feels.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a blued model 605, and with the standard boot grips, recoil was brisk, to say the least, with .357s. I have arthritis in my hands and full house loads were painful. I installed some Hogue monogrips, and the gun became very controllable. I have mine loaded with GD SB +Ps, with speed strips loaded with the same rounds and 130 gr .357 Hydrashoks. The GDs are the most accurate, in my gun, with the HSs close behind.
You'll like this gun. :thumb:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have one and love it. I put Taurus Combat Grips(from thier web site) on it and recoil is much better. I shoot reloaded 357mag and carry Corbon 125g. 357mag. It shoots POA out to 60 or 70 feet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got one in the matte stainless flavor and it shoots very well.
The Hogue Monogrips are definitely a good investment.

At the moment I have mine loaded with 125 grain Remmy Golden Saber .38 +P's and the same in the speed loaders (2). Picking up Magnums later today.

Shooting regular .38's feels less than a 9mm. The +P's have a bit more kick but I really couldn't tell the difference.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Gunner4h1r3 said:
I just got one in the matte stainless flavor and it shoots very well.
The Hogue Monogrips are definitely a good investment.

At the moment I have mine loaded with 125 grain Remmy Golden Saber .38 +P's and the same in the speed loaders (2). Picking up Magnums later today.

Shooting regular .38's feels less than a 9mm. The +P's have a bit more kick but I really couldn't tell the difference.
Have you used the speedloaders, yet. With the standard boot grips, they didn't work too well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the 3-inch 605 and am very happy with it. Better concealibility than I expected.

The posts on the Hogue grips are interesting to me. I'm using the standard grips and they're ok for me. No impediment to my speedloader.

·
Registered
532 Posts
MakeMyDay said:
I have the 3-inch 605 and am very happy with it. Better concealibility than I expected.

The posts on the Hogue grips are interesting to me. I'm using the standard grips and they're ok for me. No impediment to my speedloader.
The Hogue grips make the 605 a baby with full powered loads. With the standard grips, the HKS speedloaders would hang up. I'm hoping the Hogue grips would make loading quicker.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Hogues don't really hinder the use of a speedloader although it needs a little jiggling to get the rounds in but it is no problem once practice performed.

I shot mine and reloaded it at the range through speedloaders only. No problems with mine.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks. Will give it a try.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought a 605 2" stainless last month.Replaced fastory grips with Hogue. Love it. I thought it handled magnums well,but 10 rapid fire rounds was a little rough on the hand..38's shot well also.I also like the molded Fobus holster I got for it.Personally prefer Fobus holsters.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for replies! Yea still haven't shot yet do to holidays, but may change grips. The factory grips don't match well where they go together. They have an overlap which leaves a "very sharp" edge on them against your fingers, seems like it could even cut under recoil. Gonna take a dremmel tool to it and try to smooth off. Not near as good grips as th Ms.Taurus lite .38. Gun has a great balance and feel other than that problem. Will let you know, should shoot this weekend.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Congrats on the new toy !!

·
Registered
878 Posts
The factory grips don't match well where they go together. They have an overlap which leaves a "very sharp" edge on them against your fingers
I took an exacto knife to mine to smooth them out. Also, I cut some of the top of the grip and the backstrap away. It was kind of squared off. I rounded it out a bit which really helped out the inside of my thumb at the web of my hand. Before I did this it was taking off chunks of skin. Now it's fine. Mine came with the factory boots, I tried the factory combats, and then went back to the boots. They seem to be thicker and for me with my pinky under the grip the gun seems to point more naturally.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Congrats on the new toy. I don't have one, but am jealous of those who do!!! :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JohnKos I got it for $250.00 out the door NIB. Sorry about late reply been sick off the compt. I have put houge grips on it, but will shoot this weekend.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
texas shooter said:
JohnKos I got it for $250.00 out the door NIB. Sorry about late reply been sick off the compt. I have put houge grips on it, but will shoot this weekend.
$250.00 is an excellent price, especially considering you got it NIB. I paid $260.00 for my Tracker .357 LNIB and it looked as though it had never been fired.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Put some 158g FMJ though the gun this weekend. Love the way it shoots. kick is quite controllable. more fun than using .38s. Heck of a mussle flash. Although I may follow Jkwas' lead and smooth out the seam on the grips.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts