Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting a 44 4" & considering each of the above.
Concerns:
+This gun will fire magnum rounds. Some anyway, not a lot.
+Accurate tight groups.
+Reliability!!!!
+Carried in shoulder rig, Blue Ridge Mountains.
+Last me a lifetime

Non concerns:
-5 vs 6 rounds
-Cost difference

Camping gun. It'll usually have 44spcl loaded into it. But the ability to handle a deer load would be nice. This isn't a bear gun. TN has black bears which have been trained to only attack tourist & we try and keep those in Cade's Cove. The porting is appealing. Looks count. I have big hands. I like tight groups in the X ring. But will only consider a 4".

Reactions: Stroker and leejack

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
The Mdl 44SS4 6 shot 44 Magnum weighs 45 oz. The 44TRACKERSS4 weighs 11 ounces less. As you know both guns are ported. While I own neither gun I have handled and shot them. For me hands down I would choose the 44TRACKERSS4. It will be far more "packable" than the much larger 44SS4, and the TRACKER™s Ribber grips will really soak up the recoil. I have the 41 Magnum TRACKER™ 4" and it is a joy to shoot.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have a blue 44 Tracker. I had to change to the Hogue Monogrip because the OEM "Ribber" was good but a little too small and the trigger guard got my middle finger when using full power hand loads. My Tracker has run nearly 2000 rounds thru it. Only complaint I ever had was the loss of the front sight blade. The pin walked out and the blade went elsewhere. I ordered 2 new blades and pins from Taurus and now I have a spare if needed. I also have a 41 Tracker, same grips,OEM, and they work very well with the somewhat lighter recoil. For packing and occasional use I vote "Tracker".
I don't shoot 44 Specials in my Tracker simply because I have several dedicated 44 Special revolvers, 2 of which are Taurus.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
The ribber grips didn't tame the recoil on my Tracker. I agree with the Hogue grips comment. Your hand will thank you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, it sounds like people love thier Trackers with Hogue grips. I'll pass that on to my wife. It's my Birthday present.

Reactions: Cariwine

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
You described the Tracker to a 'T' when you were saying what you will use it for.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Tracker......................

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've never noticed that. Guess I never felt the need...........

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I hope you are use to shooting large caliber revolvers and are a very good shot with them. Neither one of those guns will provide tight groups beyond 7 yards with a 4 inch barrel while shooting full mag loads. Unless you consider groups of 2 too 3 inches tight. You would have better luck with a 6 inch barrel if you are looking for tight groups, and even that will be a challenge beyond 20 yards. I have shoot this caliber (44mag) in 2, 4, 6 and 8 inch barrels, and have been doing so for many years. Of course my comments are for free hand shooting, if you use a rest then your odds are better. Also, I liked the M44SS6 the best for a field weapon. Try each if you can before you buy.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope you are use to shooting large caliber revolvers and are a very good shot with them. Neither one of those guns will provide tight groups beyond 7 yards with a 4 inch barrel while shooting full mag loads.........
4" is my limit on barrel length. This gun will be glued To my side while fishing, camping, hiking, & stargazing in the Cherokee National Forest. It'll only have spcl, not magnum loads. This isn't a bear gun. As far as tight groups, I like clovers, but I do those consistently at 21'. I don't shoot beyond that, because that's how long my range is. LOL.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm heavily leaning to the tracker. My use for this gun doesn't require magnum loads. In truth, a .38 Taurus M82 has done the job in the past, and its done a fine job. But my youngest son is old enough now, and I'd like to pass the M82 to him. I'm wanting a .44mag this time because I've passed on deer that were weird close, because I just feel a .38 might leave me chasing a wounded animal. However, in reality, I'll likely not hunt with this gun ever. Even this last summer I kept an AR or my 30-30 in my truck after a run in with a coyote, that didn't run from me.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Well, from all that I have read, a hot loaded 44 special is what Elmer Keith used for years before they went ahead with the 44 Magnum. So, I doubt there is much you can't do with it, even with 44 Specials.

As for range, you just have to practice and get to know your gun... even with a 4" barrel. Least in MY eay of thinking... again, look at what the old timers were able to do. All it takes is practice and honing your craft... and who doesn't want to do that?!?!

As for the two 44s, they have almost won me over to the tracker model. I like my model 66 so much and I look at the 44ss4 as the model 66's bigger brother... so never really paid the tracker much thought... except for the 41 tracker cause they never made a 41 in any other configuration (yes, I do know about the 415). And those of you commenting about the 41 tracker... really makes me envious.... I mean encouraged that 41 trackers can still be found.... but I digress...

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
They did make the .41 in the Raging Bull series as well.Hard to find and $$$ if one pops up.Still waiting to catch a 6" one to go with my .41 Tracker.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Yep.... Has got big ugly black bears ... I have seen bears killed in my area at over 450lbs ... I have heard of one taken at 600 lbs ... When beating in the bush I tote a Glock 29 stoked with Underwood 200gr XTP .... But between the M44 aand Tracker .. Tracker would be my choice ..
The young male bears can get a bit yancy at times , they are territorial ... and the momma bear with cubs can get nasty ..

When checking the fence line my NEF 12 ga stoked with a 3inch 00 Buck... ( I have another single shot Shotgun on my list )

Attachments

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Well, from all that I have read, a hot loaded 44 special is what Elmer Keith used for years before they went ahead with the 44 Magnum. So, I doubt there is much you can't do with it, even with 44 Specials.

As for range, you just have to practice and get to know your gun... even with a 4" barrel. Least in MY eay of thinking... again, look at what the old timers were able to do. All it takes is practice and honing your craft... and who doesn't want to do that?!?!

As for the two 44s, they have almost won me over to the tracker model. I like my model 66 so much and I look at the 44ss4 as the model 66's bigger brother... so never really paid the tracker much thought... except for the 41 tracker cause they never made a 41 in any other configuration (yes, I do know about the 415). And those of you commenting about the 41 tracker... really makes me envious.... I mean encouraged that 41 trackers can still be found.... but I digress...
Taurus Mdl 416SS6...
https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/show_picture.pl?l=english&rais=1&oiu=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.budsgunshop.com%2Fcatalog%2Fimages%2FhiRes%2F32138.jpg&sp=44bdee1bec386235411814da50a132c0

1 - 16 of 16 Posts