Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I've had a M44 for a few years and I'm having so pretty dangerous problems arising here. I only have about 100 rounds through it so it's by no means badly worn out. The last time I went to the range it's S/A jammed every time after my first shot causing my to have to wiggle the cylinder free by hand. It did so after every first shot and then randomingly after that. The D/A worked just fine which is confusing and I could cock and de-cock it no problem it's as if the recoil was causing the jam. Ammo used were as follows: Remington 240gr SJSP's, Winchester 280gr SJSP's, Horanady 280gr HP's and a few Double Tap 320gr WFN's and it happened with all of them.

The other and most worrying problem is that the cylinder is unlocking when I tap the grip with the butt of a screwdriver. I tap it as if I were trying to tap the side plate off and with my left on the cylinder it unlocks and spins to the next chamber. This is very concerning as this could be happening under recoil and could cause a overpressure situation or something. As it sits now I wouldn't want to shoot it for fear of serious injury or death. I can build ar15's all day long but admit my knowledge of revolvers is lacking but they shouldn't be doing things like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
160 Posts
The first thing I would look at is the spring and plunger that puts pressure on the cylinder lock. To do this remove the sideplate screw in front of the trigger. Don't lose the spring and plunger. Open the cylinder all the way and pull it and the yoke forward out of the frame. There should be a flat headed plunger that looks like a nail with a spring behind it. That is what puts spring pressure on the cylinder lock. Check for smooth function and full travel. While you have it out clean out the hole with a pipe cleaner and lube it.

Reactions: ryan85

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first thing I would look at is the spring and plunger that puts pressure on the cylinder lock. To do this remove the sideplate screw in front of the trigger. Don't lose the spring and plunger. Open the cylinder all the way and pull it and the yoke forward out of the frame. There should be a flat headed plunger that looks like a nail with a spring behind it. That is what puts spring pressure on the cylinder lock. Check for smooth function and full travel. While you have it out clean out the hole with a pipe cleaner and lube it.
Yep just got it out and that spring is messed up somehow it's bending to one side and is a little disfigured. Well this explains the cylinder unlocking when I tap the grip do you think it was the cause of my S/A jams as well? My gut feeling is that it is and it would be nice if it's just this and not something in the action.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am fairly confident it would be causing you trigger problem also. But lets fix the obvious problem first and go from there.
Yep just got it out and that spring is messed up somehow it's bending to one side and is a little disfigured. Well this explains the cylinder unlocking when I tap the grip do you think it was the cause of my S/A jams as well? My gut feeling is that it is and it would be nice if it's just this and not something in the action.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When you install the new one do this, Put the spring and plunger in the hole, hold the gun facing muzzle down while you slide the yoke up into the frame. You should feel spring pressure start when it contacts the cylinder lock. Continue pushing until it's all the way in and close the cylinder. Check the gun funtion. If all is well you can install the sideplate screw and plunger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you install the new one do this, Put the spring and plunger in the hole, hold the gun facing muzzle down while you slide the yoke up into the frame. You should feel spring pressure start when it contacts the cylinder lock. Continue pushing until it's all the way in and close the cylinder. Check the gun funtion. If all is well you can install the sideplate screw and plunger.
10-4 thanks for the help I'll make sure to do it slowly too so I don't kink the spring or anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.