Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a taurus m44, i have noticed that after a cyclinder or two, I sometimes get the odd time when the cyclinder binds; ie. the its very hard to pull through the trigger and rotate the cyclinder! i get this 4 times in a box 50 rounds
i have put spent cases in it, and dry fired it 50 times and i cant re-reproduce the cydlinder bind! so this cannot be a bad trigger action that needs shorting but rather the cyclinder gap getting crap ?????? or i am totally wrong???

I'm using cast lead bullets .44 specials

please help

best regards

ps. i cant sent it back to taurus as I'm from the UK

cheers

·
17,581 Posts
First, try to eliminate a problem with the cylinder gap. Find a feeler gauge to measure the gap. Should be .004-.006 of an American inch. If it's tighter than .004 that could be the problem.

Next time it happens, you can try turning the cylinder by hand once the bolt drops to see if it's the cylinder or the action. Try not to shoot yourself while doing this.

Try some jacketed bullets and see if it occurs?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The cylinder gap from Taurus on revolvers is tighter than the gap on Smiths, and Rugers. I own several and the Taurus are as tight as my custom revolvers.
They are .003 and less that is why lead bullets foul the actions so quick. Much tighter tolerances require cleaning more often. It is not just bullet type but also powder and how it is loaded. For example H110 or 296, same powder is very clean burning at the right pressure. Below it and it is very dirty. Some factory lead bullet loads are very dirty. The cylinder face and barrel rub and bind on the fouling after a few shots. I love to shoot cast but in the Taurus revolvers shoot very hard cast over a powder that burns clean for that bullet weight and velocity. Still clean more often than with jacketed. Even jacketed will foul enough to cause cylinder binding and require cleaning. You can open the cylinder gap, but with the Taurus that will allow more fouling on the cylinder crane assembly. You are just moving a problem and gaining nothing but more flash at the cylinder forcing cone gap. For years a lot of us that shot big bore revolvers had barrels set back to get the kind of cylinder gaps Taurus comes with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, try to eliminate a problem with the cylinder gap. Find a feeler gauge to measure the gap. Should be .004-.006 of an American inch. If it's tighter than .004 that could be the problem.

Next time it happens, you can try turning the cylinder by hand once the bolt drops to see if it's the cylinder or the action. Try not to shoot yourself while doing this.

Try some jacketed bullets and see if it occurs?

thanks, but what do you mean the bolt? is it that peice of metal that locks the cyclinder when the hammer is cocked? and if so, how would i know if it is the action or cyclinder?

cheers

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I had the same basic problem with another brand of revolver. I sent it to their factory and they widened the cylinder/barrel gap. Now it can be done by a competent gun smith in a few minutes provide he has the tools required on hand in your caliber. The do sell the tools at Brownell's but some what expensive for someone with just one gun to do.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The cylinder gap can be opened by any good smith that does revolvers. They can take a few thou off the forcing cone end of the barrel in the gun or pull the barrel and do it in a lathe. One of the custom revolver smiths would take .004 off with files. Opening the cylinder gap is easier than closing. The bolt he is refering to is just over the trigger and locks the cylinder for firing. Clean the face of the cylinder and crane , add a light coat of oil and the binding will stop until it fouls again. The soft lead 44 special bullets and lube build up fouling quickly.

·
17,581 Posts
thanks, but what do you mean the bolt? is it that peice of metal that locks the cyclinder when the hammer is cocked? and if so, how would i know if it is the action or cyclinder?

cheers
Yes, the piece that locks into the notch in the cylinder. if you slowly cock the hammer until the bolt drops into the frame and stop the hammer where it is, the cylinder should spin.

·
17,581 Posts
The cylinder gap from Taurus on revolvers is tighter than the gap on Smiths, and Rugers. I own several and the Taurus are as tight as my custom revolvers.
They are .003 and less that is why lead bullets foul the actions so quick. Much tighter tolerances require cleaning more often. It is not just bullet type but also powder and how it is loaded. For example H110 or 296, same powder is very clean burning at the right pressure. Below it and it is very dirty. Some factory lead bullet loads are very dirty. The cylinder face and barrel rub and bind on the fouling after a few shots. I love to shoot cast but in the Taurus revolvers shoot very hard cast over a powder that burns clean for that bullet weight and velocity. Still clean more often than with jacketed. Even jacketed will foul enough to cause cylinder binding and require cleaning. You can open the cylinder gap, but with the Taurus that will allow more fouling on the cylinder crane assembly. You are just moving a problem and gaining nothing but more flash at the cylinder forcing cone gap. For years a lot of us that shot big bore revolvers had barrels set back to get the kind of cylinder gaps Taurus comes with.
Wow, that's tight. I didn't know that. I just had the barrel set back on my 66 to .004. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Really, I'd like to get a Dan Wesson and avoid this issue.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
What glenwolde referred to as a "Bolt" is actually called a "Cylinder Stop". It is part# 44 in the Taurus® Revolver Manual.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
my cyclinder gap measure 0.012inch is that too large?

That is large, most suggest no larger than .01". Make sure you are testing it correctly. First double check that it is unloaded, then you must dryfire and check with the trigger still held back, check for each chamber.

I have a 6.5" Raging Bull in .44mag and it has a very tight cylinder gap (.002-.003). I shoot jacketed bullets and it will start to jam up around 50 rounds but a good wipe with oil and rag will usually get me by for another 50.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
right, the other day, gun cleaned etc, fired 50 rounds of light magnum loads using jacketed rounds...smooth as silk not one that cyclinder binded ......! the next day fired 50 rounds of cast lead, four times in that 50 rounds the cyclinder binded! 2 of those i managed to 'pull' through the the bind! an engineer adivsed me to take off the side plate, take apart the internal trigger parts and smooth off any burs and then polish with autosolve chrome polish??????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts