Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new .380 Taurus Ultra Lite revolver a few months back. Only recently did I have the opportunity to take it to the range. This piece came with five moon clips and the manual says that the clips
can be used in the gun. The first attempt at firing the gun revealed that the hammer would not cycle and the trigger could not be engaged. I removed the moon clip and loaded loose rounds, and the pistol
performed well. I have seen some discussion on this subject. Has anyone else experienced this? Should the eject mechanism be removed or something to accommodate the clip? (eject does not function with loose
rounds anyway)
I am generally happy with this pistol. It is a good CC piece. It does have a rather heavy trigger pull, 11 pounds I believe, and a fairly long trigger pull, and this may be normal with a single action. I purchased
this with my wife in mind, but the trigger pull is difficult for her. I bought another double action revolver for her. I own a couple Taurus revolvers and I believe them to be a well made gun at very reasonable
prices, when compared to other major brands.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
If the moon clip is bent you would have that type of problem. The clip should seat flush with the cylinder (down around the ratchet). 11 pound double action trigger sounds about par for the course and should lighten up over time (a good fluff and buff along with some snap caps will make a positive difference too). Don't remove the "eject" mechanism. Good luck!

Coop

·
Registered
46 Posts
As Coop stated snap caps helped lighten the trigger, I actually use star clips and find they work very well. Nice up close gun. I really like mines. Did have to go back to have the rear sites fixed. Really like taking it to the range and feels good at my side for CC now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input. I will look for bent clips and how they seat in the pistol now that I know what I should be looking for. I was going to buy some snap caps today at the gun show, but the vendor had them priced at
$3.25 apiece. That seemed steep to me. I bought two boxes of .380 ammo for $18.00 a box. Perhaps I will just use spent casings to cycle it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the hint. I'm pretty sure what I was shooting was Chicago Arms ammo. I have since purchased several more boxes of a couple of different brands. I will make sure of what I have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I like mine for CC. It doesn't pull my pants off wearing a cross draw belt holster. Ha!
When you get old you have to wear your trousers beneath what used to be your waist.
And, yes, it shoots good at 15 yards and closer, and is a nice light weight and comfortable little piece.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried each of my star clips with no ammo in the gun this morning, and everything seemed fine. The clips seat as they should, none are bent, and the gun cycles as it should. (I only pulled the hammer far enough through
the travel to index the wheel, not letting it strike the firing pin)
I will delve into this more thoroughly next time I go shooting. I could have had one shell not snapped into the clip correctly, or something. I didn't really look for my problem previously. I just loaded loose rounds and the gun
functioned, and I had four guns that I wanted to pump some rounds through that day. I figured I could look into my problem later, as I don't have the opportunity to shoot very often. (and here I am....looking into it)
I may have a chance this coming weekend to check it out on a range. I have some rifles that I am anxious to shoot also, my new Henry .45 Colt Big Boy in particular.
Thanks to all of you for your input.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Thanks for the hint. I'm pretty sure what I was shooting was Chicago Arms ammo. I have since purchased several more boxes of a couple of different brands. I will make sure of what I have.
Compare the thickness of the rim behind the extractor groove on the different brands. When I compare the Tula to other brands the extra rim thickness on the Tula is plainly visible.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Just a note to using spent casings,since the primer has already been indented you are not saving your firing pin at all,snap caps have a spring in the primer to absorb the impact of the pin,wouldnt want you to have an issue down the road with the gun !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for your input. I went shooting today and experienced the same problems. Of course I totally forgot to try the new ammo. I just now opened a new box and compared to what I have been trying to use.
There is no noticeable difference in the rim thickness, but the new shells snap into the moon clip much easier and they do sit maybe .010"-.015" lower. Not sure why, as the rim appears to be the same thickness.
The "trouble" shells have a taper up to the groove, the new shells simply have a straight groove, and due to the difficulty of snapping them into and out of the moon clips, I'm thinking the groove is just too small
in diameter and causes the shells to sit a tad high. (with the trouble shells)
I will continue to explore this. It very well may just be the ammo. We tried to determine what was locking up, and best we could tell it was the little indexer pawl hitting against the moon clip or something there,
not allowing the cylinder to index. As before, the gun fires loose shells fine.

Ummm....somewhere earlier I stated that we were shooting at 15 yards with a snub nose revolver......would you believe 15 feet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI! I'm new here, but my interest has now been caught. I've had my M380 for half a yr or so and I like it a lot. I bought it because my wife carries a little Ruger & I thought we could share ammo. (An especially good idea because she rarely wants to practice and I take her bullets, ha!) Anyway, I enjoy shooting the M380 w/o the clips as it works fine without and sometimes the clips are too tight for the cylinder to close smoothly. I keep a little screwdriver with a pocket clip and I simply poke out the used cartridges that don't come out on their own. My problem is the rear sight. Somehow the little plastic piece has disappeared -- probably in my inserting / removing the gun into & out of various holsters and pockets. I was surprised when I 1st bought the M380 anyway, as the other snubbies I've known have had no separate rear sight. (And nothing to break off.) I'd like to have something nice to fill that space now -- Should I try to buy another little sight? Is there any alternative (maybe of metal) that anyone knows about? Other than that I like the 380 and might only be interested in replacing the grips some day. --Thanks, Donald in Memphis.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't help you with the sight issue, but I am glad to hear that someone else has issues with the star clips. Somewhere on this forum I have read where others have also has issues. One respondent suggested that I should
look at the ammo I was using. I have three different brands of .380 ammo, none of which will work with the clips. I have one brand that will not even allow the cylinder to close. The bullets hit on the frame.
I was able to contact Taurus customer service Friday night and spoke with a very cordial representative, sounded like a young lady, who is sending me another packet of clips to try. I will see when they arrive if they are any
thinner than what came with the gun. The Taurus customer service apparently are overwhelmed at this time, and have extended their weekday hours to 10:30.
I have one other Taurus .38 Spl police revolver that I purchased used. That is a fun piece to shoot and is quite accurate. It is just not a practical concealed carry piece.
Grips...I purchased a pair of wooden grips from Altamont for my S&W 637 revolver. They look great and are comfortable to shoot. There are a number of folks that supply wooden grips and most are in the same dollar range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts