Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oh HELL YEA! Shot the M380 for the first time today. I have to confess, I had low expectations. I've been shooting Smith & Wessons and Colts for so long it was hard for me to imagine that a Taurus would measure up to my standards. Plus other posts about M380 "tales of woe" put me in a negative mind-set. I was wrong.

During my initial inspection everything seemed fine, but I did have one area of concern which was the barrel cylinder gap. It measured a consistent .003" on all chambers, and a tight .003" at that. That's tight, especially for a defensive revolver. I was concerned I might get some cylinder binding due to fouling. Never happened. I like the forward crane lock. That's a great design.

The revolver functioned perfectly. Fired 150 rounds total of Remington, Winchester, and Federal hardball. but took a break about every 50 and shot the PT638. Recoil and blast much more manageable than a .38 spl, I like the way the cylinder locks into battery, and then another little pull and the revolver fires. Kind of like a two stage trigger if you want it to be, you can really feel when the cylinder locks up.

Functioned perfectly except for Tula steel case .380. The extractor groove is a bit forward on these cases and the clips would hold them out a little too far and they dragged a bit on the recoil shield, binding the cylinder. They fired fine without the clips.

The clips are a pain at the range. I fired 5 clips and reloaded them all once but it takes too long. I just fired without the clips and poked them out. Trigger pull is heavy, but smooth. Shoots a bit high. Target is 7 yards, had to do a six o'clock hold at the bottom of the orange bullseye.

The PT638 had zero malfunctions other than not wanting to chamber the first round with the flat-nosed Winchester ball. A slap on the back of the slide and it would chamber. 100 rounds fired. 7 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Good range report. Looks like the new baby is plenty accurate enough to ruin a BG's day. Good shootin' with the 638 too.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good range report. Looks like the new baby is plenty accurate enough to ruin a BG's day. Good shootin' with the 638 too.
Yeah at 7 yards that's plenty good enough as a dog-walkin' gun. I had so much fun shooting those two I forgot to shoot my TCP!

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Extra clips are available at Taurus Int'l. I have quite a few for my 905s, and got 25 of them for my daughter to use on her m380. Glad you saw the "light" on the little babies, GW!!!!

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Extra clips are available at Taurus Int'l. I have quite a few for my 905s, and got 25 of them for my daughter to use on her m380. Glad you saw the "light" on the little babies, GW!!!!
I took a leap of faith on it, and it worked out. I am going to have to get some more clips........... or maybe they'll come out with ".380 Auto Rim"...???...nah

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Thanks for the report glen! Anyone looking to purchase a M380 will find your report very useful!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for the report glen! Anyone looking to purchase a M380 will find your report very useful!
Indeed it will!

I'm seriously thinking of buying one for my wife.

Thanks for the report, glen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
And that's how to look at that.. Another gun w/ same ammo!!!!
That's how I see it. I reload, and so having a .380 that doesn't chuck my brass everywhere is appealing. Bottom feeders aren't my first choice for range guns, but their thinness makes them more natural (to me) for IWB carry.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's how I see it. I reload, and so having a .380 that doesn't chuck my brass everywhere is appealing. Bottom feeders aren't my first choice for range guns, but their thinness makes them more natural (to me) for IWB carry.
I figure it's handy for any batches of test reloads that don't function in your auto. Beats pulling bullets with a kinetic hammer. So I've got a $300 bullet puller! Works for me!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oh HELL YEA! Shot the M380 for the first time today. I have to confess, I had low expectations. I've been shooting Smith & Wessons and Colts for so long it was hard for me to imagine that a Taurus would measure up to my standards. Plus other posts about M380 "tales of woe" put me in a negative mind-set. I was wrong.

During my initial inspection everything seemed fine, but I did have one area of concern which was the barrel cylinder gap. It measured a consistent .003" on all chambers, and a tight .003" at that. That's tight, especially for a defensive revolver. I was concerned I might get some cylinder binding due to fouling. Never happened. I like the forward crane lock. That's a great design.

The revolver functioned perfectly. Fired 150 rounds total of Remington, Winchester, and Federal hardball. but took a break about every 50 and shot the PT638. Recoil and blast much more manageable than a .38 spl, I like the way the cylinder locks into battery, and then another little pull and the revolver fires. Kind of like a two stage trigger if you want it to be, you can really feel when the cylinder locks up.

Functioned perfectly except for Tula steel case .380. The extractor groove is a bit forward on these cases and the clips would hold them out a little too far and they dragged a bit on the recoil shield, binding the cylinder. They fired fine without the clips.

The clips are a pain at the range. I fired 5 clips and reloaded them all once but it takes too long. I just fired without the clips and poked them out. Trigger pull is heavy, but smooth. Shoots a bit high. Target is 7 yards, had to do a six o'clock hold at the bottom of the orange bullseye.

The PT638 had zero malfunctions other than not wanting to chamber the first round with the flat-nosed Winchester ball. A slap on the back of the slide and it would chamber. 100 rounds fired. 7 yards.
Love mine take it everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Damn Glenwolde and Whodog I think you-all just provided that additional 1% coaxing to put me over the edge into a 905 purchase. A $300 bullet puller, gotta love it!

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn Glenwolde and Whodog I think you-all just provided that additional 1% coaxing to put me over the edge into a 905 purchase. A $300 bullet puller, gotta love it!
We are here to serve......... you can tell your wife it's not a new gun, it's a piece of reloading equipment.

·
32,654 Posts
We are here to serve......... you can tell your wife it's not a new gun, it's a piece of reloading equipment.
Or it's a (metal) magazine subscription. Make sure you have plenty of them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts