Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading for days ... and I can't find any internal pics either.

I'm wondering if the M380 is REALLY a DA/SA with a bobbed hammer ???
Has anyone tried grasping the hammer after it's exposed and cocking it like a DA/SA ?

Thanks ...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've been reading for days ... and I can't find any internal pics either.I'm wondering if the M380 is REALLY a DA/SA with a bobbed hammer ???Has anyone tried grasping the hammer after it's exposed and cocking it like a DA/SA ?Thanks ...
I don't have an M380, but I have a "hammerless" M905 in 9mm and it is DA only. It will not cock. I would be surprised if an M380 "hammerless" is DA/SA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you MR_22 !!

This is where manufactures terminology upsets me. I looked up the 905 and it indeed does have a hammer … it's just “bobbed” off. So, in my opinion, that is a hammered gun … whether it has a SA sear (or not) is kinda irrelevant to it having a hammer ... or not.

When the DAO's first came out, they were “striker” fired. Now it seems that even if it has a traditional style hammer ... it's called “hammer-less”.

Anyway ... this picture had me hopeful. Would Taurus call this a DAO because the hammer is bobbed ???

Perhaps this individual is holding the hammer back by another means for the purpose of "explanation" ???

I'm so confused ... (not really... :cool:) ... just hoping the M380 was DA/SA ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I supposed they should call it "hammer-spur-less" because it DOES indeed have a hammer, but not the spur you use to cock it. In any case, revolvers that don't have the spur typically are DAO. Otherwise, how would you cock it? Pull the trigger enough to grab the hammer, then pull it back? Well, that's how I checked my 905 to see if it would cock, but I wouldn't do that loaded!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I supposed they should call it "hammer-spur-less" because it DOES indeed have a hammer, but not the spur you use to cock it. In any case, revolvers that don't have the spur typically are DAO. Otherwise, how would you cock it? Pull the trigger enough to grab the hammer, then pull it back? Well, that's how I checked my 905 to see if it would cock, but I wouldn't do that loaded!
I really appreciate you testing yours for me MR_22 !!! ;) ;) ... I figured someone here might have a M380 to test. :(

I've been to all the gun shops (5 of them) around here trying to find this answer. No one has any "bobbed" Taurus guns of any kind to test ... I figured someone here might have one of these to test.

I was going to attach a spur to the hammer if was indeed a DA/SA ...

Hmmm ... I guess I'll go with some other gun.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I really appreciate you testing yours for me MR_22 !!! ;) ;) ... I figured someone here might have a M380 to test. :(

I've been to all the gun shops (5 of them) around here trying to find this answer. No one has any "bobbed" Taurus guns of any kind to test ... I figured someone here might have one of these to test.

I was going to attach a spur to the hammer if was indeed a DA/SA ...

Hmmm ... I guess I'll go with some other gun.

Try a M85UL I think that is what you are looking for....

Wood Grips.jpg

Reactions: CB236

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may end up going with something like that …

Here's the deal … I often “carry” and I really like the 380 for several reasons. I have three 380's in the safe ... a Bersa Thunder CC (which I love), a Colt Mustang from long ago and a PT 738. All of these I can casually shoot and have great confidence in. I don't like guns that “slap” your wrist. I had a PF-9 and that thing just plain hurt. I've also shot the ultra lights in 38 Special +P … those hurt also.

If I can't practice with a gun, I'd rather not carry it. I like to be comfortable in both my practice ammo AND the actual self defense ammo that would be in the gun … mainly because I would know what to expect. That's just one less thing to worry about if (God forbid) the need ever arose.

Thus the hunt for a DA/SA 380 revolver BUT … it doesn't seem like that is going to happen any time soon. I really like DA/SA … especially in a revolver. I understand the “logic” behind the DAO revolvers … I just don't like them at all.

So, I've found some 38 Special “womens” ammo … I guess ??? (it's in a pinkish box) The Hornady 90 gr. low recoil SD round. I've also loaded some 92 gr 38 Special ammo just above the lightest load possible. I want to try and find either a light weight 38 or 357 to borrow and try both of these rounds out. I'm hoping that the 92 gr. Loads will feel close to the 380 … if it does, I'll be good to go. Then I'll buy an ultra light 357 and life will be good again. I can shoot my hand loads for practice and carry my low recoil “woman’s ammo” for self defense and still be able to load it with either 38 or 357 if the need ever arose.

I figure five 380's (or equal) on target are better than five 357 (or whatever) misses … like my Dad used to say … if you don't hit it, it doesn't matter what size gun you have.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
That "pink girly ammo" in .38-Special is exactly what I carry in both my Taurus 85 View and Taurus 850 Hy-Lite magnesium, both of which are not rated for +P. I feel perfectly comfortable with them as carry rounds and they shoot great in my two lightweight Taurus revolvers.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had an M380 and it could not be cocked. It is DAO.

I sold it off, the gun was ok I just don't like alloy frame revolvers. I would like to get a 905 instead, and also a 405.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys !!! ...

Perhaps I won't worry about testing the recoil now !!! ;)

I also read a bunch of reviews on the "girly ammo" (oh BTW ... I like girls anyway, so why not carry girly ammo ? ) and everyone says it has light recoil also !!!

So ... MR_22 ... THANKS !!!

And stantheman86 ... thank you as well. It's not the news I wanted to hear ... but it's the truth!

Perhaps by the end of the week I'll be able to post a pic of a new revolver !!! :guns: :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
17,634 Posts
I'll confirm it won't cock, and add that Taurus told me they could replace the hammer with a spur model that would operate single action for $50, but with shipping both ways it would run too much....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll confirm it won't cock, and add that Taurus told me they could replace the hammer with a spur model that would operate single action for $50, but with shipping both ways it would run too much....
Thanks for the additional confirmation Glen ... and I agree ... that kinda negates the Taurus "cost advantage"

The $50.00 isn't too bad ... but all added up ... not worth it.

So, it's off to get some other model ... ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gee ... I really like Taurus but ... I may have to jump ship on this one.

Since I'm a tinkerer (remember Miss Bell ?? ... Tinker Bell ???) it seems that parts for the Taurus are like hens teeth. Well, actually Taurus unfortunately won't let loose of them ...

Seems a S&W 637 Airweight is in my future ... it is my destiny ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts