Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is starting to get things going on building a M16A1. The biggest issue I see, him too, is getting the front A1 front sight/gas block mounted properly.

There are 2 methods of attachment. Pins, involving drilling "slots" in barrel. Or using set screws, involving drilling 1 shallow hole/depression in barrel for the set screw that goes through the bayonet lug.

Have any of you done either of the procedures? How did you go about it? Any tips you share are appreciated.

TIA

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
I know when I did mine, I did a quick assembly of the upper and snugged things down then set the set screws for the gas block to make marks on the barrel. Then you disassemble, center punch the marks and make a couple of small divots with a drill press. I think I used either a 5/32 or 7/32 drill bit.

Reactions: jimb1972 and darbo

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
well you likely won't take my advice as usual but I will mention a couple of things here that always work for me---Duct tape and Super Glue!!!------

Attachments

Reactions: mingaa and darbo

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well you likely won't take my advice as usual but I will mention a couple of things here that always work for me---Duct tape and Super Glue!!!------
What do you mean as usual!? :) I remember 1 very specific time where you offered me advice and I followed it. My PT1911 has ran perfect after that extractor install. Having said that, I think I'll not take that advice to my friend! :)

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Some barrel manufacturers are putting dimples at the point where the set screw gas blocks would be secured. I've seen that on 7.62x39 and 300BLK barrels that I've recently purchased.

And by the way, JB Weld works better than super glue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Definitely have it pinned. This is something that can take some time and experience to get right and really is best to use a proper alignment jig for the best results. I would recommend contacting John Thomas at Retro Arm Works to do the install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts