Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here carry a sheild as their EDC? I got to handle one the other day at the LGS and it felt excellent. I had previously decided on picking up a Mil Pro G2 for carry, but the Shield seems to be calling my name. I cant rent either one at the local range so i am going to rely on what experience you guys (and gals) have had with both. Pros and cons of each, help me make up my mind!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I've never "strapped one on", but I do like the way the Shield feels and shoots.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I liked it but I have really large hands and it was too thin for me. I ended up trading it for a M&P compact. It was a very nice pistol and the reason I stuck with a M&P.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I love mine! It's an early production run model in 9mm I got right after they were announced last year. My EDC is either it, or my 738 TCP. The TCP gets more carry time as it easier to do, but the Shield carries well in the front pocket or IWB via my N82 tactical holster which is very comfortable. The Shield is hard to beat as a small 9mm or .40 IMO.
Finding one seems to be the hardest part. It shoots well as my first ever shots in this pic show. Even though the Shield has had a few hiccups(not mine, & mostly the .40) I recommend it highly!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Does anyone here carry a sheild as their EDC? I got to handle one the other day at the LGS and it felt excellent. I had previously decided on picking up a Mil Pro G2 for carry, but the Shield seems to be calling my name. I cant rent either one at the local range so i am going to rely on what experience you guys (and gals) have had with both. Pros and cons of each, help me make up my mind!
You have access to rent both...damn, I can't even find one. Bite the bullet rent both, shoot and report back. It's your chance to be a hero.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts

" I cant rent either "

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I carry a Shield in .40 as my off duty and BUG. I absolutely love it! It has been entirely reliable with no failures of any kind with any ammo I fed it. The trigger is one of the best around.

In size, it is nearly identical in size to my PT709, PT740, and LC9, all of which were my primary "EDC" prior to the Shield.

It would be perfect it there was a .45 Shield, but I will settle for the .40.

As an FYI if you can find one in stock, Academy still sells them for $399 (this is what I paid). Make friends with the "Team Leader" at the Academy gun counter, and maybe he will call you when one comes in. Gander Mountain also has had them in stock periodically (and briefly) at $449, which is MSRP.

My favorite holster for the Shield is a High Noon Split Decision tuckable IWB. When I am dressed up, this is what I carry tucked. I have many hours of practice drawing an EMPTY Shield from the tucked position.

While a little larger, if you find one, also look at a Ruger SR40C or a SR9C. I often carry my SR40C IWB untucked in another High Noon Softy when dressed casually with a polo or other loose fitting shirt.

I have seen a lot more Shields in 9mm than .40, but my preference recently has been .40, because I can't find a similar sized .45 from any major maker at a decent price. I carry a Ruger SR1911 on duty.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It would be perfect it there was a .45 Shield, but I will settle for the .40.
This. I love the full-size M&Ps and if I could find a Shield in .40 at a non-insulting price, I'd probably buy it. But, I have to say that I'm quietly waiting and hoping that S&W will go toe-to-toe with the Springfield XD-s in .45 by introducing a .45 Shield.

The XD-s is tempting, but the fit and feel of the grip isn't as good as the Shields to me, and with that much pistol in that small a package, ergonomics are critical.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This. I love the full-size M&Ps and if I could find a Shield in .40 at a non-insulting price, I'd probably buy it. But, I have to say that I'm quietly waiting and hoping that S&W will go toe-to-toe with the Springfield XD-s in .45 by introducing a .45 Shield.

The XD-s is tempting, but the fit and feel of the grip isn't as good as the Shields to me, and with that much pistol in that small a package, ergonomics are critical.
A .45 Shield would be awesome, it would be a bit bigger in some ways I'm sure, but I'd like one!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but in my area of the woods (Eastern MI) there are no M&P Shields available! I talked to someone who is a FFL dealer, and he has been trying for over a year to get one in his hands! If any of you fella's know of a place online or even in MI, could ya help a guy out? :) I'm looking for NIB 9mm.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a shield 40, which is actually smaller than my kahr, in a little foxx holster it disappears, very smooth trigger and haven't had any issues

·
22,058 Posts
I have been in search of one to go with my other M&P handguns. No joy so far.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I love Smith & Wesson guns and from what I hear about the Shield, it is a winner. It is the same as a PT709 in many respects, and different in others. For me, the Shield is not $100+ better than the 709. My personal opinion is that the Taurus trigger is safer. One of the reasons that I stopped carrying my Ruger SR9c is that even though it has a manual safety, it has a "right now" Glock style trigger. Carrying a compact gun IWB increases the "fumble factor". I wanted to switch to a DAO trigger, but I didn't want an LC9.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I love Smith & Wesson guns and from what I hear about the Shield, it is a winner. It is the same as a PT709 in many respects, and different in others. For me, the Shield is not $100+ better than the 709. My personal opinion is that the Taurus trigger is safer. One of the reasons that I stopped carrying my Ruger SR9c is that even though it has a manual safety, it has a "right now" Glock style trigger. Carrying a compact gun IWB increases the "fumble factor". I wanted to switch to a DAO trigger, but I didn't want an LC9.
As for the price, value is in the eye of the beholder, so no disagreement there. (I have a 709, and a couple of M&Ps, though no shield yet, so I'm equal opportunity.) But, I'm really a little lost on your trigger logic. Having examined both mechanisms, I see no practical difference between the two pistol's firing mechanisms under normal conditions. They both have trigger safeties (articulated versus the little pivoting blade in the middle), both have manual safeties, both have striker (firing pin) blocks, and they are both essentially SA (or striker fired, if you prefer) under normal operation.

So, really, the only functional difference is the "second-strike" ability of the Taurus. Addmitedly, that's pretty cool and one of my favorite aspects of the Taurus family of pistols, but I'm not sure it's a deal breaker for most people (even me) and it has nothing to do with preventing accidental discharges while drawing from concealment.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
29 Posts
got a shield in .40. carry it everywhere. its a handful in 40 but with the extended mag its alot more manageable and its the most accurate gun FOR ME in a super compact sized gun. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH IT. as long as its comfortable to you

Reactions: TexasDeputy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts