Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new M-85 UL 2in. is it considered a J frame? What are the differences in a J,K,N or L frame. :???: By the way, what ever it is , I love it! ;D

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
flounder22 said:
My new M-85 UL 2in. is it considered a J frame? What are the differences in a J,K,N or L frame. :???: By the way, what ever it is , I love it! ;D
J, K, L, N, & X frame sizes are applicable to S&W® Revolvers only. Taurus® Revolver frame sizes are Small (your 85), Compact, Medium, & Large. For all intents & purposes your 85UL is as a J Frame.

·
Registered
118 Posts
J,K,N and Ls are S&W frame types. Mostly it is related to frame size. J is the smallest, K and L are around medium, and I think N is the largest (actually, X is the largest now).

Taurus doesn't use letters for frame sizes. They have Small, Medium, Large, and Compact.

Basically, the Taurus Small frame is about the same size as the S&W J. The holsters for one can be used for the other. The Compact and Medium frames are about the same as Ks and Ls, and Large is around the same size as N

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great guys, thank you all very much. I`m starting my search for a belt holster to buy and just wanted to clear this up in my mind. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The only Taurus frame size missed was the RB frame (aka Raging Bull) which is somewhere close to the X frame.

When looking for holsters, if it fits a Smith J frame it should fit your M85, assuming that the barrel length is close.

Steelheart

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have two holsters that work very well for the Taurus small frame: The Bianchi black widow, and the fobus paddle. For pocket carry I use the Desantis nemesis. I don't do IWB. sorry.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have two holsters that work very well for the Taurus small frame: The Bianchi black widow, and the fobus paddle. For pocket carry I use the Desantis nemesis. I don't do IWB. sorry.
I too have the fobus paddle, and like it a lot, very comfy, and conceals nicely. I also use a uncle mike IWB holster, that conceals even better, but i don't find IWB holsters in general very comfy, for long all day carry. I don't pocket carry, but starting to thing about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts