Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at an auction Friday night and made some great deals. This was one of them. The catalog listed this badly as a "APINTL-PAHRUMP PHILIPPINES" and at 50% finish 9mm 1911 like. It's an ARMSCOR Citadel. The serial number starts with CIT and Rock Islands start with RIA

cit officers 01.jpg

cit officers 02.jpg

The joke on them is that it is Cerakoted in "Battle worn". It didn't feel like bare steel. I suspected it was cerakoted, but didn't want to tear it down in front of of other potential bidders. During the auction I got up to $275 and stopped. I was out bidded by two people that ran it up to $360. Here's where it got interesting. At about 3/4's of the way through the auction they announced it was back up for auction. The winning bidder failed the NICS check.

So I got another chance. I got it for $220 plus tax. I got it for less than my original bid. It was immediate fun tearing it apart confirming my suspicion. Also, the camera I took the pictures with was in a box I bought for $5 with a 1GB card in it.:D I also bought nearly $600 worth of ammo in .45 ACP and .38 Special for $230. I did good!

This time I did good. All to often I leave an auction with my money still in my pocket, minus the cost of a cheese burger and diet Dew from their kitchen. Also, it shoots great!

Maloy

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Nice. I'm surprised that they started the NICS on it so soon. I've never been to a live auction but I just thought that they would do that at the end of the auction. For your sake I'm glad they did not. :cool:

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've been to a couple auctions, NICS is called as soon as the winning bid is identified on a particular sale. They don't want then backed up after the auction if it can be prevented. The want to be paid soonest and get it out of there.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, they start the NICS at the time of check out. In Ohio there is no law stating that auctions have to do it, but a lot are doing it now. At an auction house they have to charge sales tax as well. This one was part estate and consignment at their auction house.

Now, if it is an estate auction and on site, they do not do the NICS or sales tax. It is looked at as a face to face sale and all you need to show is an Ohio drivers license and be the right age.

On another subject, this auction should prove as a warning about "battle worn" finishes like Cerakote or Duracoat. It could drastically affect the value of your firearm if resold. From what I understand, the man that own most of the guns is gone. I found three Cerakote dealers nearby that do the "battle worn" finish.

Maloy

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
In Kalifornia almost nothing is considered face to face anymore.
well now honestly depending on the Kalifornia Face that might be a wonderful idea!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,232 Posts
Great deal!! Congrats.

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
Congratulations on your new to you pistol and other stuff.

·
22,974 Posts
Wow. Please provide name, address and time of future auctions.

DSC01186.JPG

Reactions: FreeInAZ

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been to a couple auctions, NICS is called as soon as the winning bid is identified on a particular sale. They don't want then backed up after the auction if it can be prevented. The want to be paid soonest and get it out of there.
What do they do with a delay on the NICS check? Treat it the same as a denial? I get delayed every time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like the story. Enjoy the pistol

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
I was just about to ask “so, there isn’t any such thing as an auction loophole”?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I was at an auction Friday night and made some great deals. This was one of them. The catalog listed this badly as a "APINTL-PAHRUMP PHILIPPINES" and at 50% finish 9mm 1911 like. It's an ARMSCOR Citadel. The serial number starts with CIT and Rock Islands start with RIA

The joke on them is that it is Cerakoted in "Battle worn". It didn't feel like bare steel. I suspected it was cerakoted, but didn't want to tear it down in front of of other potential bidders. During the auction I got up to $275 and stopped. I was out bidded by two people that ran it up to $360. Here's where it got interesting. At about 3/4's of the way through the auction they announced it was back up for auction. The winning bidder failed the NICS check.

So I got another chance. I got it for $220 plus tax. I got it for less than my original bid. It was immediate fun tearing it apart confirming my suspicion. Also, the camera I took the pictures with was in a box I bought for $5 with a 1GB card in it.:D I also bought nearly $600 worth of ammo in .45 ACP and .38 Special for $230. I did good!

This time I did good. All to often I leave an auction with my money still in my pocket, minus the cost of a cheese burger and diet Dew from their kitchen. Also, it shoots great!

Maloy
HECK YEAH.

Gun for half price, ammo for 60% off AND a virtually free camera. SWEET!

I'm not crazy about Ceracote, and 1911 isn't my favorite platform for 9mm, but I would still take that deal any day.

My best deal on a 1911 (I only have 2) was this RIA officer-sized with Parkerized finish that truly is worn - though probably not from battle ;) I was happy to get it for $50 more than you paid for yours.
10218.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts