Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally occurred to me that the hard pull on my 24/7 Pro .45 trigger might be a problem with lubrication. (A farm boy should have thought of greasing the wheel long ago.)

Regarding lubrication, the manual says, "The firearm may be cleaned and lubricated under normal conditions..." That's all I can find. No worse, I suppose, than most manuals.

Can anybody expand on this as to what, with what and how? I have no interest in slathering on the wrong thing in the wrong place in the wrong amounts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use CLP breakfree on all of my firearms.
Did the same with my 24/7. I also put some grease on the slide rails.
When I'm breaking-in a pistol, I tend to shoot them pretty wet with CLP.

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
Any Detergent Grade Straight 30w Motor Oil will do nicely, otherwise, I also like Mobil 1 10w30 for colder weather applications and AR15 Bolt Carriers. Been using both for a long time, now.

I'm not crazy about grease, as it just does not flow or break down contaminants. But if you would prefer to use grease, I recommend "Green" Auto Grease, or White Lithium Auto Joint Grease, or Silicone Brake Grease.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jwc007 said:
Any Detergent Grade Straight 30w Motor Oil will do nicely, otherwise, I also like Mobil 1 10w30 for colder weather applications and AR15 Bolt Carriers. Been using both for a long time, now.

I'm not crazy about grease, as it just does not flow or break down contaminants. But if you would prefer to use grease, I recommend "Green" Auto Grease, or White Lithium Auto Joint Grease, or Silicone Brake Grease.
It looks like I'm getting suggestions only for what lube to use, as opposed to what needs oiling, what doesn't and how much. Does this mean that I should just dowse everything in sight?

·
Registered
71 Posts
When cleaning my pistols I use CLP and a old tooth brush and scrub most areas I can reach. Then wipe down with a rag.
The oil that gets left over should be enough I then add grease to a couple areas:

The slide rails. (grease)
The slide stop and barrel cam (just a little grease)
Wipe off the springs with a oily rag.
A small amount of grease on center raised part of the slide.
A couple small drops of CLP in rear of the frame that has all of trigger action parts.
Any where I use grease it just a light coating not big globs.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whirlwind06 said:
When cleaning my pistols I use CLP and a old tooth brush and scrub most areas I can reach. Then wipe down with a rag.
The oil that gets left over should be enough I then add grease to a couple areas:

The slide rails. (grease)
The slide stop and barrel cam (just a little grease)
Wipe off the springs with a oily rag.
A small amount of grease on center raised part of the slide.
A couple small drops of CLP in rear of the frame that has all of trigger action parts.
Any where I use grease it just a light coating not big globs.
Thank you very much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts