Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that an effective lubricant replacement was a certain grade motor oil. Has anyone heard of this or is this even a good idea?

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I use synthetic engine oil without any problem.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
A lot of Ar owners use it. I use S&W premium lube myself.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I have been using Mobil 1 5W30 for some time with no adverse problems or wear on rails/slide. I do not use it for gun wipe down - strictly for lubing wear points.

Am in process of trying FrogLube on some pistols with favorable results (so far), but it ain't cheap.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you search, I had a similar post about 6 months ago called "What kind of gun oil does everyone use". You'll get more answers than you'd imagine.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I would like to say I use Mobil 1 5W30 (which in fact I do use), but the truth is I use whatever I have left over in the garage from oil changes. I have some Valvoline synthetic bearing grease that I use too. No need to waste it and it works just as well.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I was told that an effective lubricant replacement was a certain grade motor oil. Has anyone heard of this or is this even a good idea?
I've heard of that but Hoppe's oil has worked well for me since 1969.

Why change now?

Reactions: Camo

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I've used straight 30 weight regular motor oil for years. Living in a warm climate, I like that it doesn't run everywhere like water. It will turn brown in time though.

However, there are some situations I definitely use the super thin gun oil (like Remoil) that can penetrate into super tight spaces.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I was using synthetic bearing grease on my slide rails and moving parts for a while, but lately I've become a fan of Tetra Gun Grease. The cost per tube is kind of high, but I've been using the same little tube for about a year now and still have plenty to spare. I use it on all the moving parts in all my guns, and just a tiny drop will spread nicely and not pickup the powder residue from range use. It actually pulls out extra unseen residue after it sits for a while, which I really love for clearing out really tight spaces like trigger groups.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A lot of great suggestions guys. It seems as though the common thread is one I've observed for years,"a little goes a long way" I don't think a gun can be too clean, but it can be over lubed very easily.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I have been using Mobil 1 5W30 for some time with no adverse problems or wear on rails/slide. I do not use it for gun wipe down - strictly for lubing wear points.

Am in process of trying FrogLube on some pistols with favorable results (so far), but it ain't cheap.
I keep hearing good things about Frog Lube but do have trouble with the price point - considering how many other substances seem to work just fine!

·
Registered
14,176 Posts
I have been known to if needed while out shooting at the ranch to pull the dip stick out of my F250 V10 to get a little lube. Wipe the dip stick with my finger and then transfer the oil to the slide or where needed. I also have a small oil bottle I have filled with 10-30 I will use from time to time if I run out of my CLP.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I use M-Pro-7 I buy the kit comes with Lube and Cleaner and is non toxic so I guess that's a plus also.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts