Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the correct forum but.............

I am trying to find some Frog Lube for my pistols. From what I have heard it is the best out there. It should be for what it cost. I went to 2 LGS and Bass Pro with out any luck. Ended up getting something called CLP by ?????. I am not sure it the Frog Lube is worth double + the price of other lubes?

What lubes are you using?

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Well, it's not cheap, that's for sure. Bought mine on line thru Amazon. Got the paste and liquid. So far fairly pleased and slowly moving all my pistols to it from standard CLP's (BreakFree) and Hoppe's. There is a thread below with info on FrogLube and some others similar. Regardless of what you use (skipping WD40 and 3in1) just take good care of your investment(s) using quality products - you and they will be good to go for years.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/56899-frog-lube.html

Reactions: TXEric and btleslie

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I have a few friends that swear by it but I don't see their guns performing any better than mine. With high 'trending' products I always take a wait-and-see attitude and if I AM interested in buying some I call stores first. If it's 'hot' it may be flying off the eshelves or in limited distribution. BUT Amazon is the bomb - especially when they are the direct supplier.

If you go with the frog - post up your impressions! :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Blaster PB50 ALL-PURPOSE Lubricant. See a rundown of thier products at BlasterCorp.com. I like this lube a lot. Doesn't evaporate , turn gummy or smell bad . Best of all doesn't cost an arm, leg and first born child. Can be found in Home Depot and Lowes and some Wally Marts.
WD40 evaporates and does not offer much in rust protection. I have had Break Free CLP turn semi-hard and gummy in the action of a Taurus 455 and several rifles and shotguns put away for several months. Had to clean all the gummy residue out and then relubed with PB50, it's been a year now and PB50 has retained a good film and not turned gummy. Every few months I spray a little into and onto the Taurus 455 , my carry gun, and the action is still slick , no gummied up works. I like this stuff.

Gary

·
Registered
913 Posts
I use Hornady One Shot on my carry pistols, and have been using FrogLube on my Thunder 22, 10/22 and Hi-point 995. Smells nice :) I forget if it is in the instructions, but either leave your weapon in the sun for a bit before treating it or hit it with a heat gun/blow dryer.

From what I've seen from other folks, BreakFree CLP delivers the same results. Not sure about the smell, however.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I clean guns using Hoppe's and a BoreSnake. In the past I've made bore cleaners out of string and a hair pin with a strip of cloth tied to it. I wipe the outside of the barrel and receiver down with WD-40 but never on inside parts, I use a light oil on pivot points in the trigger group. Right now I think I'm using a light oil made by Gunk, its like sewing machine oil... just a drop. And I have been known to use Vaseline on screws to prevent rust.

I've been using such things that are handy for over sixty years on countless guns I've owned. I've never had a one to rust or wear out

Reactions: dogchild

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the past, I have used some teflon lube on my O/U shotguns and revolvers but never on a pistol. I started using it in my offshore fishing reels and it would not melt down being in the sun all day and with the friction of a fish pulling on the gears. I am not sure how it will work in pistols.

Also i was talked into a product call "Reel Magic" and saw in with the cleaning supplies at Bass Pro. I have gotten positive feed back from guys who use it on their reels but not sure how it will hold up in a firearm.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I've used a number of products over the years, but my current favorites are TW25B ("grease") and MC2500 (oil) from Mil-Comm. The TW25B has become the default for the vast majority of my gun lubrication needs; it stays where I put it and (so far) seems to resist going "gummy" over time like many other products I've tried. The MC2500 is good, too; it's reasonably thick for oil, so it mostly stays where I put it and make less of a mess, but it still seems to have very good wicking properties. You can put a drop of it on the exposed end of a trigger or hammer pin (for instance) and watch it get drawn into the receiver by gravity, so it's good for hard to reach spots.

I used to have to get the stuff online, but it's been a lot easier to find these products locally lately because this is the stuff being co-branded as the "NRA Gun Care" line; I even saw them on the shelf at Bass Pro the other day.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I admit that I have tried many products before settling on my current choice which is plain old synthetic motor oil. For one-it is almost free, because the small amount it takes to lube all my firearms won't be missed by my engine, and I have never had a gun malfunction because of a lubrication problem no matter what I use. I think alot of what surrounds these products is hype. You really just need something, or a combination of things which Clean,Lubricate,Protect-(CLP). Any quality oil should do a fine job lubricating the moving parts of a firearm. When you think of how much heat and friction goes through an engine anything a gun can throw at a motor oil should be child's play.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I am sure Frog Lube is good- But when Walmart sells CLP and Rem Oil for about $5 for a large can, $3.50 for a small one....you can't beat that. They also have a gun greese?...Outers I think, and several dry lubes for just a couple bucks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I like Remington Dri-Lube for internals and standard white lithium grease for slides etc. I clean often enough that I don't worry about it getting gummy.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Remington Dri-Lube and Rem Oil

·
Administrator
18,415 Posts
I admit that I have tried many products before settling on my current choice which is plain old synthetic motor oil.
+1 ! Mobil 1 10w30 for me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I use a product called "Italian Gun Grease" it's the best lube I've found hands down.It's not a grease(although they do make a grease) it's more like an oil.Check it out,here's a link:
Italian Gun Grease, Inc.
It works great and goes a long way,a real long way,so it's actually very economical. morayman................

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Frog Lube convert here. Got it from Amazon, and love it.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I admit that I have tried many products before settling on my current choice which is plain old synthetic motor oil. For one-it is almost free, because the small amount it takes to lube all my firearms won't be missed by my engine, and I have never had a gun malfunction because of a lubrication problem no matter what I use. I think alot of what surrounds these products is hype. You really just need something, or a combination of things which Clean,Lubricate,Protect-(CLP). Any quality oil should do a fine job lubricating the moving parts of a firearm. When you think of how much heat and friction goes through an engine anything a gun can throw at a motor oil should be child's play.
+1 ! Mobil 1 10w30 for me.
Mobil 1 5W30 has been my choice for rail, moving and frictional surfaces, too, along with clean up using BreakFree CLP & Hoppe's #9, and still use on those that I have not moved to FrogLube. While I have faith in the conventional methods, I must say I've been impressed with FL, both on the range and at clean up, which goes very quickly with the FL treated pistols. However, the transition from traditional to FL is progressing at a semi-slow pace. I'm Texan born and raised, but guess there's some Missouri blood in there somewhere cause you gotta "show me" before I make a complete leap. LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts