Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new pistol that has a fairly thick coat of oil on the outide, and what looks like a much thinner oil on the inside, more like real gun oil on the inside.

I can't see cleaning the inside and putting new gun oil on the pistol unless I have to. I know the thick oil on the outside
needs to come off.

What kind of oil does Taurus put on the outside and inside of pistols for shipment from the factory?
My new gun is a Bersa, but trying to get info at 'Bersa Chat' is nearly impossible.

I've found posters here at Taurus Armed to some of the most helpful on the net.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Take it apart and clean all of that gunk off it inside and out then lightly lube it in the critical areas with the premium gun oil of your choice....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I don't know what it is by name but you do need to take it off. Its not gun oil it's packing oil/grease. It can fowl things up if you keep it on there.

Like gbusmech said, clean her up and find an oil/lube you like and lube it after you clean it.

Me personally for brand new pistols, I use more oil than I do for ones that are more broken in. The first 300-500 rounds or so then I know where I need to oil and how much I need. I don't say this is the best or only way, but it is the way I've always done it. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: aero1

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Most imported weapons come packed in a cosmoline type of preservative, thick nasty oil that does not have any lubricating properties at all. Aside from rust prevention, it's absolutely worthless inside and outside of a weapon. If you don't clean it from the inside, you're basically asking it to heat up and varnish your interior parts. It's like a magnet for all the carbon buildup and once the varnishing takes place, you seal the grit into the tiniest spots of the gun. My personal preference with any new or used firearm is to clean every inch of it before a single round is shot through it. Doesn't matter whose name is on it either.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Get it all out of there and then relubricate it. Gun grease and gun oil are both fine. Remember though oil runs and can evaporate over time. Grease stays where you put it until you remove it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Good advice above, take it apart and clean it really good and then apply a good gun oil. This will keep carbon, dust and grit from building up and causing problems later.

Reactions: aero1

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just one more question. When I was cleaning 1911's in the Coast Guard back in the early 80's we used cloth to clean pistols. Have noticed postings that many shooters are now using paper towels? Does it matter which is used? Maybe a Poll should be started?

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I prefer cloth. But thats just my preference.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Most imported weapons come packed in a cosmoline type of preservative, thick nasty oil that does not have any lubricating properties at all. Aside from rust prevention, it's absolutely worthless inside and outside of a weapon. If you don't clean it from the inside, you're basically asking it to heat up and varnish your interior parts. It's like a magnet for all the carbon buildup and once the varnishing takes place, you seal the grit into the tiniest spots of the gun. My personal preference with any new or used firearm is to clean every inch of it before a single round is shot through it. Doesn't matter whose name is on it either.
Exactly how far should I take it apart for cleaning? I just got my new oss 45 and took the slide and barrel off and cleaned up as much as I could reach, but didn't tear down the trigger or firing pin areas. Not sure I have the skill to do that without messing something up! Also, the owners manual doesn't suggest tearing it down any further than I did.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Exactly how far should I take it apart for cleaning? I just got my new oss 45 and took the slide and barrel off and cleaned up as much as I could reach, but didn't tear down the trigger or firing pin areas. Not sure I have the skill to do that without messing something up! Also, the owners manual doesn't suggest tearing it down any further than I did.
Flush the firing pin hole with a good stream of Gunscrubber or the like until it runs clear from the back of the slide. That will clear out most crud that lies in the striker channel.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
+1 on the Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe for cleaning the striker channel and the bore. I then apply a thin coat of Eezox to lube and for rust prevention. You can buy both from Amazon & eBay.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I follow this guide. Oil things that rotate and grease things that slide. Grease sparingly, a little goes a long way.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Bersa comes from Argentina, so they use a preservative on, and in, the gun. Many of these are shipped via sea, so a rust-preventive is paramount. I use Gun Scrubber Synthetic myself. Field-Strip it, and hose it down thoroughly. Use Q-tips in hard to reach spots. After it dries, inspect the gun. Lube with your choice of grease and/or oil. As Gun Scrubber removes virtually everything, be sure that you either lube, or wipe down all surfaces that might rust.

Don't forget the magazines, either. Made of metal, they get the same preservative applied. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts